News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My Automatic Electric Monophone.

Started by Dan/Panther, September 25, 2008, 08:47:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

My Automatic Electric Monophone came today, I was very pleased with it's appearance.

I paid $20.00, plus shipping.
Here are two photos.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

BDM

Dan, get yourself a low speed buffer. I bought mine at Sears a few years back. Practice on a parts set until you get a good feel on buffing out the Bakelite. Also, I believe those lower rubber parameter gaskets are being reproduced.

After that, you'll love your "new" phone ;)
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dan/Panther

I love it now, but it appears there is a clear cote of sorts, that the more I polish, the more of the clear cote that seems to be rubbing off. It almost seems I would be further ahead by re clear coating it.
I notice the most clear cote missing from the cradle area, and the handset.

Does anyone happen to have a full life size photo of the schematic inside the case.
Mine was intact, but got damaged and I'm heartsick about it.

D/P

benhutcherson

I'll have to dig, but there's one out there on the internet that's been enhanced and is very legible.

Although the schematic in mine was is intact, it has several holes in it and is very difficult to read. Thus, the full enhanced version I found was definitely a life saver.

BDM

Clear coat? Hmmm, not sure? Never heard of that on a phone, but I guess it could be. I really know little about those AE sets.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

McHeath

Gee, 20 dollars for that phone?!  You guys get all the deals!

Dan/Panther

I would like to share my progress so far on the Monophone.
The handset cord was round rubber, and completely rotted. I had some N.O.S. rubber cord, that was very pliable.
Her is the cord after I removed the Spade connectors, and cords restraint, then transferred them to the new cord.

The second photo, is of a small rubber grommet looking items that fell out of the phone body, when I opened it. I have no idea what it is, or where it goes, and no obvious spot in the phonew either.

One more question, does this set require a subset it has a capacitor, and bell set up.

One more item, I was told they made reproduction rubber base gaskets for them, but have looked at aftermarkets and found nothing.

D/P

bingster

The only thing I can help with is the subset... you don't need one.  It's a plug-n-play phone.

By the way, I just noticed in something in the upper photo... Is that an H500 or one of the 600s?
= DARRIN =

Dan/Panther

I got my Monophone wired, and connected and on line tonight about 12:00 AM, PST.
I'll taker some photos tomorrow, no good batteries. Besides I'm tired. I can't wait to see how it sounds when I call Bill Cahill Tomorrow, He'll probably tell me it sounds bad, and that I should send it to him to get it ourt of my house. Nice Try Bill....

Bingster;
That's my restored H500, of which I am very proud....
It took about 3 sets, to get all the parts I wanted in the condition I wanted them.
Here's a photo of it.
I re-covered the cabinet myself, but I opted NOT to use the leatherette, that is available., rather I used Black Demin, then several coats of Deft semi gloss lacquer, the cabinets is basically water proof, and bullet proof. It won't get tears in a thousand years of use.

D/P

Bill Cahill

Why, Dan, how dare you!! :o
Is this ARF??  :D Hmm. Maybe I should start my tv post here?? Humph!!!!  ;D
And, no, I'm not going to tell you on the phone. I'll just say now.. After all that trouble you went through, I think you should pack the phone today, and, ship it right to me. I'll take it off your hands.....  ;D ;D
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Dan/Panther

Here is my Automatic Electric, monophone, hooked up and working.
Notice my new number.

D/P

bingster

Looks great, Dan.  And Major Miller would be proud. :)
= DARRIN =

Dan/Panther

Bingster;
Thank you, I really enjoy this vintage stuff, and wish I had been there, but I can still enjoy what I have and maybe even appreciate more than those that lived it, at the time, I'm sure those that lived it appreciate it now, but you know what I mean.

Bill;
Let me think about it.....................................................HHHmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
NO !!!!!!!!

D/P

mienaichizu