"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

GPO 232 phone - voice feedback issue

Started by Fennec, August 23, 2016, 08:57:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fennec

Hello:

Thanks to the help of members here, I now have a fully working GPO #232 phone, connected to a bellset #26  ;D
It rings, dials out, I can hear person talking and other side hears me perfectly, with no noise on the line.

Before I move into detailing, bakelite polishing and final assembly however, there is one issue that needs fixing.

When I am talking, I can hear my own voice in the receiver (???) What is even more annoying, my voice comes in louder than another person talking  :-\

Any suggestions on how to eliminate this feedback would be greatly appreciated. The phone and bellset are wired to standard diagrams.

twocvbloke

That's normal for british telephones, something us brits got used to and miss when we can't hear ourselves properly in the receiver... :)

LarryInMichigan

That is called "sidetone", and it can be quite annoying on British phones.  I have a 706 which includes instructions on the inside label on where to connect a resistor to reduce sidetone.  With the resistor in place, the phone is much more usable IMO.

With a 232, the sidetone is part of the experience of using a classic old phone.  The 232 is one of the most elegant looking phones, though insanely fragile.  How the Brits managed to use these phones, especially in public callboxes, for so many years without breaking them all is a mystery to me.

Larry

dsk

A resistor in series with the green wire to the bellset may help, 200-400 ohms.

dsk

Fennec

OK, I have put 390 Ohm resistor in series with green wire (between bellset and phone), as suggested, and also have removed a 3k resistor I had on the incoming line wire. Result - other party's voice in the receiver is a bit louder, and feedback is somewhat "softer". I would say, this is good enough for now, thank you everybody for your help so far.

On to the cosmetics  ;D

dsk