News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Identifying this phone CL phone

Started by benkeys, October 13, 2012, 04:23:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

benkeys

I have been eye balling this phone for a short time now and finally have a little money, and considering making an offer on it but i'm not quite sure what exactly it is. To me it looks like it could be a 302 or possibly a 5302. Although i know it could also be something besides a WE.. The G-1 handset just sticks out and is what gets my attention. Well i should say what appears to be a G-1.. Not to mention its also in the right price range for me..   http://limaohio.craigslist.org/for/3279664729.html ( dead link 03-03-21 )
Ben K...  1960 WE 500 and 1972 SC 554   Always enjoying the sound of a phone with a bell ringer ringing....

DavePEI

My suggestion is don't hesitate - at that price buy it. No matter what it is, it is worth that, and quite likely worth considerably more. The thoughts after a quick look is that it is a 302, and it is only due to the camera angle that the handset looks a bit odd. This is without an in-depth study of the photos, but at any rate, it would be well worth what the seller is wanting..

I have always felt there are certain angles that make a 302's handset appear somewhat gangly, and this is one of them.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

benkeys

That is what i was thinking.. I kept looking at it and saying man that looks like a 302 but at the same time i'm thinking what are the odds of that and being listed at that price.. I know 302's even in crappy condition are worth more then 20.00.
Ben K...  1960 WE 500 and 1972 SC 554   Always enjoying the sound of a phone with a bell ringer ringing....

DavePEI

Quote from: benkeys on October 13, 2012, 04:51:52 AM
That is what i was thinking.. I kept looking at it and saying man that looks like a 302 but at the same time i'm thinking what are the odds of that and being listed at that price.. I know 302's even in crappy condition are worth more then 20.00.

Snap it up fast, before someone else does. That is, unless you are suffering from 302 overload. Even so, as I feel with our Uniphones, it is best to buy one at a low price, and to sell it to someone else at a profit, or give it to them at cost. It is worth the trouble, if only to preserve them for other collectors.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

Dennis Markham

From my view it does look like a 302 with an F1 handset, not G1.  Look closely at the foot pads.  One may be missing.  The handset cord will need a replacement it looks like too.  What would make it a good deal is if it has a #4 dial inside.  Otherwise $25 is about the going rate that I've found around here (Michigan) at flea markets and the like.  Granted, there's no shipping charge which adds to the value.  If the plastic is not cracked then $22 is a decent price.  Cords are plentiful and Dennis Hallworth can recover the footpads for a very reasonable price.  My 2c worth......

Sargeguy

This looks like a typical plastic 302, they usually run about $25 in decent condition on CL or eBay, (although sometimes they go higher).  The good thing about buying locally is you save $12 on shipping.  The dial is most likely a 5H or maybe even a 4H, so I would jump on this one. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

TelePlay

Quote from: DavePEI on October 13, 2012, 04:55:39 AMSnap it up fast, before someone else does. That is, unless you are suffering from 302 overload.

I love it, "302 overload."

I think you just coined a new CRPF term, as in when one (me, for example) opens a box that's been sitting in the basement for so long I can't remember how long and in opening it finding a metal 302 and immediately saying (out of ear shoot of my wife) "another one?"

Then thinking, "how many of these do I really have?"  :D

DavePEI

Quote from: TelePlay on October 13, 2012, 10:36:17 AM
Quote from: DavePEI on October 13, 2012, 04:55:39 AMSnap it up fast, before someone else does. That is, unless you are suffering from 302 overload.

I love it, "302 overload."

I think you just coined a new CRPF term, as in when one (me, for example) opens a box that's been sitting in the basement for so long I can't remember how long and in opening it finding a metal 302 and immediately saying (out of ear shoot of my wife) "another one?"

Then thinking, "how many of these do I really have?"  :D
I thought someone might get a kick out of that :) What I overload on, being as this was NE independent country are Uniphones. Yet, I continue to pick them up even when I see them at a good price, and pass them along to someone else. The one think we see very few of here are 302s and 302 series. That is why I was so happy when I found the matching date 1950 dial-less hotel phone recently. It was an unexpected find, as I have had to pick up most of my 302s from away.

So, one can never really suffer from overload - pick 'em up whenever you can - remember there is someone who will eventually need them even if you don't. When I wind up with excess Uniphones, I usually will trade them for other phones and parts I need - that way everyone benefits.

So, I hope he is able to get the phone, and I am sure he will enjoy it. It is a good price for a decent 302.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001