News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Bought a rare Red Plaskon Kellogg 1000 Red Bar

Started by Gary Z, January 09, 2019, 06:05:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary Z

I met a guy whose parents met working at the Kellogg Telephone. He is sending me the phone one of them borrowed from work. It is a "RED" Red bar desk phone. $25 for the phone and $23 for shipping. The bad news is there are multiple breaks on the body AND handset but I am still excited to get it. Anyone have thoughts about repairs? I will post a few of the pictures I have of it. Probably won't get it until next week.

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: Roody on January 09, 2019, 06:05:28 PM
I met a guy whose parents met working at the Kellogg Telephone. Hi is sending me the phone one of them borrowed from work. It is a "RED" Red bar desk phone. $25 for the phone and $23 for shipping. The bad news is there are multiple breaks on the body AND handset but I am still excited to get it. Anyone have thoughts about repairs? I will post a few of the pictures I have of it. Probably won't get it until next week.

That phone is seriously rare.  The cracks are an awful shame, but you can at least glue them closed.  I would clean the areas in and around the cracks well, and once they are completely dry, apply cyanoacrylate super glue to the inside.  If you are skilled at color matching, you can try to fill the cracks from the outside with some sort of colored resin.  I do not believe that there is any way to dissolve the plaskon to fill the cracks. 

I look forward to seeing more pictures of the phone.

Larry

Gary Z

Thanks Larry. Anything that I can do to improve it. It is a shame but I am still glad it didn't make it to the dumpster. I have heard of colored red bars. I talked to one guy who said he had a blue one but I never saw it.

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: Roody on January 09, 2019, 06:49:41 PM
Thanks Larry. Anything that I can do to improve it. It is a shame but I am still glad it didn't make it to the dumpster. I have heard of colored red bars. I talked to one guy who said he had a blue one but I never saw it.

I know someone who has a blue one: forum link.  It also has some damage.

Larry

Gary Z

Wow. That's a beauty! I was expecting more of a Royal blue.

Gary Z

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: Roody on January 09, 2019, 07:30:33 PM
Wow. That's a beauty! I was expecting more of a Royal blue.

Gary Z

If you find a royal blue Kellogg, I would be most appreciative if you would send it to me :).  In the interim, I will have to make do with the powder blue one.

Larry

Jim Stettler

I assumed  clear bars were used on the colored redbars,  However this red and the powder blue have red bars.
Does anyone know if there was a specific   reason for the clear bars?
BTW There are at least 2 variations  of the red-bar plunger itself, I don't know if they interchange. I think they should.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.