News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 20PC--Is it Cobbled?

Started by jfisher, October 28, 2020, 09:48:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jfisher

I purchased this several years ago and have wondered if this stick has been cobbled from parts or authentic. Transmitter is marked 250W which I thought were used on wall phones. No markings on base. 2 part cup. Any thoughts?

Jack Ryan

Quote from: jfish on October 28, 2020, 09:48:52 AM
I purchased this several years ago and have wondered if this stick has been cobbled from parts or authentic. Transmitter is marked 250W which I thought were used on wall phones. No markings on base. 2 part cup. Any thoughts?

The 20-PC is identical to the 20-AL except for the finish. That includes the base markings, the lug, the transmitter cup and the transmitter and all of these differ on yours.

Jack

shadow67

I think the older bases had no writing but also had a screw on the side of the vertical shaft. Cannot see if yours has one from the photos.

jfisher

Thanks for the replies,

I think my suspicions are correct and this phone is made up of parts from several phones. There is no screw on the side of the vertical shaft and the trans cup and 250W transmitter seem all wrong. But at least it looks good. The mouthpiece does have a star and the perch seems authentic. If I ever resell it I'd like to be honest with the buyer.

Jack Ryan

Quote from: jfish on October 29, 2020, 05:10:24 PM
Thanks for the replies,

I think my suspicions are correct and this phone is made up of parts from several phones. There is no screw on the side of the vertical shaft and the trans cup and 250W transmitter seem all wrong. But at least it looks good. The mouthpiece does have a star and the perch seems authentic. If I ever resell it I'd like to be honest with the buyer.

The screw on the side is from an earlier phone like a 20-B and that had other differences as well. Although a 20-PC never left the factory like that, it is conceivable that most of the parts came together during refurbishment.

It displays well - don't worry about it!

Jack

Doug Rose

Quote from: Jack Ryan on October 29, 2020, 08:09:11 PM

It displays well - don't worry about it!

Jack

Agreed....it is a beautiful phone.

It's a hobby, it's supposed to be fun!

Enjoy Telephone Art, place it on a shelf and admire it....Doug
Kidphone