News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

receiver ID help please

Started by NorthernElectric, December 29, 2015, 07:09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NorthernElectric

I took a chance that this receiver is an AE part suitable for my step base candlestick.  I have seen photos of those phones with receivers that look like this one, which has a sort of bump detail at the top and also with receivers that have a smoothly curved top.  The magnet, coils, and brass shroud on this look similar to ones I've seen pictured with examples of the smoothly curved top receivers but I've not seen any photos of the internals on the receivers with the 'bump' top that I've seen with AE step base phones.

So is this an AE receiver and if so would a step base candlestick have been equipped with a receiver of this type?
Cliff

wds

The receiver doesn't appear to be an AE.  The shell and cap look like reproductions - the magnet almost looks like a Chicago, but I'm not positive.
Dave

AE_Collector

A "Receiver identification" topic here on CRPF would be a great thing....or is there something here already? Likely there is a lot of info on receivers scattered over an even larger number of topics.

I have never had the slightest clue as to how to ID unmarked receivers which many/most seem to be.

We need a group effort with good pictures!

Terry

wds

I have a small library of pictures of known receivers, so that's what I use to ID a receiver.  Of course the list grows continuously, and it does come in handy.  There are many receivers that I still haven't identified.  it seems like just about everyone was making those candlestick receivers back then. 
Dave

AE_Collector

If you have the time Dave, start a topic and post your pictures with identification info. Do one post per picture which builds in a bunch of room at the start of the topic to add up to 6 pictures into each post later as more examples are posted.

Not certain where to put it as the same receivers were used on Candlestick and Wooden phones which each have their own areas plus the receivers were used on other phones as well. Maybe "Repair & Restoration" - "Technical Stuff"? We can move it later if we find a better place for it.

Terry

paul-f

Quote from: AE_Collector on December 29, 2015, 09:34:51 PM

Not certain where to put it as the same receivers were used on Candlestick and Wooden phones which each have their own areas plus the receivers were used on other phones as well. Maybe "Repair & Restoration" - "Technical Stuff"? We can move it later if we find a better place for it.

Good point, Terry.

Why not create an area at the same level as Candlestick Phones, Wooden Phones and Pay Station Telephones called something like Telephone Components? (Parts that are used in many styles of phones.)

There could be Child Boards for Receivers, Transmitters, Handsets, Ringers, Dials, Coils and Networks, Cords, Speakers, etc.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

AE_Collector

I was initially thinking along those lines so maybe I will create another board in "Telephone Talk" for components of all types of phones. Stay tuned.....as soon as I can remember the Admin Area password....Hmmm, it has been awhile!

Terry

NorthernElectric

Thanks for the help Dave.

The photo ID thread is a great idea.  I would find it a big help and I'm sure others would too.
Cliff

wds

I think for the "Candlestick Receiver ID" thread to work, it would need to be in alphabetical order, so how could you lock the thread so they don't get out of order?  For some manufacturers like Kellogg, we may need more than 6 pictures for a post, or maybe more than one post.  I know that Sargeguy has been able to make threads about WE boxes and was able to keep them all in numerical order - how is that done?
Dave

AE_Collector

The forum sorts all posts in date/time order. Of course this is obvious initially but if two topics are merged together the posts ultimately get shuffled together into overall date/time order. So, unless a 100% complete list of receivers in entered in numerical model number order with no additions in tge middle needed later On, it cant be done. Of course, nothing is impossible....us moderators get creative from time to time repurposing an old post that was made in a correct time frame by moving it into a topic and redoing all of the text in the post. But, this is only feasable for an occasional fix-up, not as an ongoing method of rearranging posts.

I think that one Receiver Topic by each Manufacturer should be good with one post on each model. It wont be too difficult to scan through all the posts in a topic to identify a particular receiver. We shouldnt get too hung up on having it sorted perfectly or it will not get started as has been the case so far.

I suspect that a "For Identification" topic would be good as well so that those of us who haven't a clue what we are looking at can post pictures there (along with what it is attached to) hoping that someone can ID it and then we can move it to the appropriate topic.

We need a proper name....Candlestick receiver isn't correct because they were used on wooden phones as well. The phones that used these individual receivers sometimes are called "two piece phones" to identify that they had a separate transmitter and receiver as opposed to a "handset" which usually means a combined transmitter / receiver.

Does anyone know of any terms used by manufactureres to quickly and positively identify that it is the receiver being discussed? Otherwise maybe it will be "Receiver from a Two Piece Phone - Identification".

Terry

Jack Ryan

Quote from: AE_Collector on April 11, 2016, 09:47:00 PM
Does anyone know of any terms used by manufactureres to quickly and positively identify that it is the receiver being discussed? Otherwise maybe it will be "Receiver from a Two Piece Phone - Identification".

Generally the word used was "Receiver" with a specific receiver being (say) a "144 Receiver" in WE speak or a "Receiver, Bell No 4" in GPO speak. I suggest Receiver (or Bell Receiver) and Transmitter. Other receivers can be qualified, for example "Auxiliary Receiver".

Jack

stub

NorthernElectric,
                         Your receiver shell looks like a Kellogg to me with the letters buffed off. Here's a pic of the receiver that came with my stepbase AE. The last pic is , left is AE , middle is Kellogg with letters gone and right is a marked Kellogg.  hope this helps.  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

AE_Collector

Not that this will help immediately but here is a new Telephone Component Identification board with several Child Boards to get underway.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?board=104.0

Please read the Sticky Post to get an idea of how we are trying to set this area up.

PS: Thanks Jack. As I layed out the Telephone Component Identification board, wrote the first post of instructions and after putting Receiver, Transmitter and Handset Child Boards besides one another it became apparent that no further explanation was likely needed.

Terry