News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

GPO No150

Started by cloyd, May 09, 2016, 12:46:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cloyd

This is the candlestick phone that I recently stripped.  I would like input on what you know about it.  I know it was made by Siemans and it was originally a No.2.  I have an old No.10 dial that will go into it.  It needs loads of TLC.

Thank you,

Tina Loyd
-- I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it. - Van Gogh -- 1885

cloyd

More pics,

This candlestick began life as a No.2 but was then upgraded to a No.150.  Did GPO upgrad for the same reason that WE went to the 151-AL?  Is the transmitter appropriate?  I think it also has parts from a No.22...?

Can I use heat shrink tubing on the cord to make it safe to use or is it too far gone?
These didn't use connection boards originally, did they?
Does the transmitter look OK even though the edge is wavy?

Sources:
Does anyone have a source for rubber grommets to replace the deteriorated one?
I also need a source for the rubber gasket for the base,
and cords (cloth covered and braided).

Tina
-- I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it. - Van Gogh -- 1885

rdelius

To replace the rubber base ring remove the old bad one and find an old rubber or neoprime cord that is thick enough and push it into the slot and cut off the excess. Do not know if heat shrink will fix that cord. Use an ommeter to make sure no shorts between the wires before you cover it up.If you relpacr it. try to salvage the lugs that go on the dial.They are hard to find small enough .Somewhere on line there is information to decode the GPO markings.The mfg, model and year are stamped in the brass

poplar1

Quote from: cloyd on May 09, 2016, 12:55:20 PM

I can't answer your question. However, the terminal board shown is from the back of a WE or NE 82-A apparatus blank (dial blank).
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Jack Ryan

This candlestick began life as a No.2 but was then upgraded to a No.150.  Did GPO upgrad for the same reason that WE went to the 151-AL?

No, an upgrade from a 51AL to a 151AL converts from dial sidetone to dial anti-sidetone (AST). The GPO did not use AST candlestick telephones. The upgrade from No 2 to No 150 is equivalent to an upgrade from a 20AL to 50 or 51AL - it adds a dial.

Is the transmitter appropriate?  I think it also has parts from a No.22...?

Yes, that is a later upgrade that converts from a Transmitter No 1 (a solid back transmitter) to a capsule transmitter (Transmitter No 22). It is equivalent to replacing the original transmitter of a 51AL with a Bulldog transmitter. The Transmitter No 22 is not called a Bulldog transmitter though.

Can I use heat shrink tubing on the cord to make it safe to use or is it too far gone?

I can't tell what damage had been done - I would try to find a replacement; but not necessarily a new (NOS or reproduction) one.

No, they were wired in a similar way to the 50AL (within the shaft).

Do you mean the edge/back of the transmitter module? That is a spring so that the module is held firmly when the cap is in place.

Regards
Jack

kuschi

Is the cord still working? In the end it is a question of aesthetics.

No, they did not. The No. 150's wiring is not the smartest design. Such a terminal block would have helped a lot, actually.

Is it still working? On the other hand, replacement transmitter can be found on eBay or on other place on the internet.

Sources:

I also need a source for the rubber gasket for the base,

This part is usually not visible but very necessary to prevent the phone from sliding (and scratching the surface of your table), I went to to a truck dealer and asked for an o-ring with similar size and diameter and cut it to length. Worked for me

and cords (cloth covered and braided).

Cords can be found on eBay or you can contact Geoff Mawdsley urjoking_uk@hotmail.com

Martin

rdelius

That rubber ring on the base could be replaced with a thick round power cord cut to length and pushed in the groove