News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

We have come a long way, haven't we?

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, October 06, 2016, 11:04:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

I was just reading this old topic about discoloration on an Aqua 500. 8 years ago, we hadn't even heard of the peroxide/bleach treatment methods. Back then, the only hope was either sanding or leaving it be.

Now, 8 years later, we have perfected methods of removing fading and discoloration, and it's done so well that I haven't heard of a reversible mishap since shortly after I first arrived here 3 years ago!

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=407.0

Back then, collectors were mostly interested in simply collecting phones, not so much restoring them. Then when the forum was created, we started experimenting with polishes and sanding, along with painting methods, bleach, peroxide, cord reshaping, Bakelite polishing, damage repair, chemical polishing, etc.
In a way, we sort of lead the field with restoration techniques and experts, transforming the hobby from collecting a bunch of dusty, cracked, faded, chipped, dull phones into practically new museum pieces!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Dan/Panther

Christian;
I never really spent much time thinking about being on the forefront of anything, but you do point out several good examples. We may not make any history books, but it is always a good thing to be part of preserving anything for future generations. We have had many projects here that if our members had not gathered our resources and contributed, some of these items may have been lost for future generations except in words or a few rare photos.
Back in 19895 a group of scientist mounted an expedition to the floor of the Atlantic to find and record the Titanic. Without that effort none of us would have seen the actual resting place of such a tragic and historic event.
I truly hope man never loses the desire to experiment and explore. We seem to be entering that type era right now, Christian, it's up to you and your generation to continue.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Holtzer-Cabot

Quote from: Dan/Panther on October 06, 2016, 11:54:30 AM
Christian;
I never really spent much time thinking about being on the forefront of anything, but you do point out several good examples. We may not make any history books, but it is always a good thing to be part of preserving anything for future generations. We have had many projects here that if our members had not gathered our resources and contributed, some of these items may have been lost for future generations except in words or a few rare photos.
Back in 19895 a group of scientist mounted an expedition to the floor of the Atlantic to find and record the Titanic. Without that effort none of us would have seen the actual resting place of such a tragic and historic event.
I truly hope man never loses the desire to experiment and explore. We seem to be entering that type era right now, Christian, it's up to you and your generation to continue.

D/P
Good points. As you know, i'm 14, so I will definitely preserve these phones for my generation! My main phone is my '61 W.E. 500.
Western Electric - A unit of the Bell System and main supplier of AT&T since 1882! -15 year old phone collector!

InterestedNewbie

Is there a decent thread here about the peroxide / bleach treatment? I know about the yellowing due to the bromine (a fire retardant) rising to the surface, and (some chemistry students discovered) applying hydrogen peroxide (and poss another chemical as found in oxi-clean) onto the surface then putting it in the sunlight / direct light for hours helps turn this bromine into a gas as the colour appears to return, but I always like to read about other treatment options.

TelePlay

Quote from: InterestedNewbie on October 06, 2016, 12:48:19 PM
Is there a decent thread here about the peroxide / bleach treatment?

Lot of topics about that posted on this board.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?board=23.0

You can also search the forum for "peroxide" and find topics across boards.

InterestedNewbie

Quote from: TelePlay on October 06, 2016, 02:45:50 PM
Lot of topics about that posted on this board.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?board=23.0

You can also search the forum for "peroxide" and find topics across boards.
Interesting thanks, I see it's the same retr0bright source! I use it also for vintage computer parts.

TelePlay

Quote from: InterestedNewbie on October 06, 2016, 03:20:08 PM
Interesting thanks, I see it's the same retr0bright source! I use it also for vintage computer parts.

Retrobright was the first thing used or discussed but it was found that hair salon developer (peroxide) in various strengths and times and the use of sunlight affected different colored shells differently. Bleach is also used for some items. There is a lot of stuff in that board, a lot of opinions and a lot of actual experiences posted. IIRC, retrobrite was found to be problematic but I can't remember exactly why, harder to find or harder to make or harder to use, something like that. Most members use bleach or peroxide depending on the color of the plastic and the type of plastic. I can't remember the last time someone posted improved results using retrobrite. Lot to read in those restoration topics before you can draw a conclusion or feel comfortable trying one of the methods posted that strikes you as possibly being the best.