"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Hello from Southeast Wisconsin

Started by KaiserFrazer67, February 19, 2017, 08:29:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KaiserFrazer67

Quote from: Fabius on March 03, 2017, 10:42:54 AM
There's a non-denominational antique telephone show March 31 - April 1 in Shipshewana Indiana. About a 4.5 hours from Milwaukee.
Awesome!  Just in time for me to get my vacation back!  I've used it up--only had a week's worth and I get 2 weeks this year.   :D

I've been to Shipshewana.  Hostetler's Hudson Museum is a must-see, whether you're a car nut like me or not.  The Kaiser-Frazer Owners Club had their Nationals there a couple years ago; unfortunately I was unable to attend (I had just started my current job and had no vacation at the time).  I've also seen the Studebaker Museum in South Bend and the Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg Museum in Auburn, but somehow I missed the National Automotive and Truck Museum which is in another old factory building behind the A-C-D Museum.  Oh well--good excuse to go back there!  I will have to save up for that weekend... ::)  My next phone purchase will be an AE 40; it's no longer a question of "if" but "when", "how much to spend", "what color" and...  "how many"... ;D
-Tom from Oakfield, Wisconsin --  My CO CLLI & switch: OKFDWIXADS0--GTD-5 EAX

"Problems are merely opportunities in workclothes." -Henry J. Kaiser

Fabius

I will have a table at the show. Come by and say hello. If you are coming from Wisconsin you'll be passing through La Porte, Indiana. If you have time stop by the museum that houses the Dr. Kesling car collection. There is also a large gun collection and a nice display of telephones. The museum is very large and 1st class. Dr Kesling had something to do with the invention of dental braces (orthodontics) and was a millionaire who made the current museum possible. You can also see the building where the first automatic (Strowger) telephone exchange was.

http://www.laportecountyhistory.org/

Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

AE_Collector

Any chance that we can see the building that housed the first Strowger Automatic Telephone Exchange (without us having to leave our easy chairs)?

Terry

Greg G.

Quote from: KaiserFrazer67 on February 20, 2017, 03:38:55 AM
...  (Yes, I blanked out my phone number, for security reasons.  It was just rubber-stamped on there per the style of the late 1960's.)

Good idea, I do that also with my new phones when I post pictures of them.  I check the number first to see if it's in use.  If so, I distort or blank it out.  If unused, I'll leave it in the picture.  I have one like yours that was almost beige when I got it, but it was supposed to be white, so I bleached it.

P.S. Welcome!
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Fabius

Quote from: AE_Collector on March 04, 2017, 11:51:47 AM
Any chance that we can see the building that housed the first Strowger Automatic Telephone Exchange (without us having to leave our easy chairs)?

Terry

Okay, will do. Probably next Tuesday as I'm in Michigan right now.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905