News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

GTE Model 80E Rotary (Wiring Diagram at Reply #9)

Started by GTElover, October 31, 2010, 12:34:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTElover

Please help, my GTE 80 needs to go back together and I've lost the notes I made. Can anybody post detailed pictures of the inside of a GTE 80.  

Many thanks

Matt

AE_Collector

Give us a bit more info Matt, are all of the parts physically removed from the baseplate or are you talking about all the electrical connections?

Also, there are many different variations of the components inside of AE 80's. They changed a lot over the years so we probably need to know the type of network and ringer etc. Maybe post a picture if possible.

Terry

GTElover

Hi Terry here are some pictures of my GTE 80, all I need is where to connect the dial cables to the circuit board.  A detailed view of the inside of a complete one would be great. 

jsowers

That looks like an AE80E to me. Here is the wiring diagram for the AE80E from the TCI document repository...

<edit> Link below is for an AE N80 telephone, NOT an 80E.  Terry <edit>

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_details&gid=1862&Itemid=31

Click VIEW to see the PDF document (you will need Adobe Acrobat). I hope it helps. It looks like the wire colors for the dial are at the bottom of the first picture and that should help you connect it to the proper terminals on the circuit board. I know it's not a detailed picture of the inside, but it might be better since you can't always tell where each wire goes from a picture.
Jonathan

Wallphone

It looks like Jonathan pointed you in the right direction, but if you still need a picture let me know. I have a phone exactly like yours (including color).

GTElover

Dear Wallphone,

If you could that would be a great help as the circuit diagram is very diffrent from my phone.

Thanks

Regards
Matt

Wallphone

Matt, I guess I was wrong when I said it was exactly like yours. It's the same color for sure. Terry knows more about these than I do and he sure was right when he said there are many variations. My phone is older than yours and mine has a metal base plate. My phone does not have the compensator that the print shows but the dial is wired very close to the print. The dial is wired as follows, - Red to 4, Blue to 1,
Yellow to 11, and White to 2. The print shows White to 3 but if you look at the bottom schematic it shows 2 and 3 as being the same, so I would say that mine is wired to print. Have you tried wiring it to the print? Do you have terminals 4, 1, 11, & 2 (or 3) on your board? I took some pics but I don't see where they will help you but if you still want to see them PM your email address to me. Terry, do you have a phone that looks like Matt's? I'm sorry to get your hopes up like that Matt.

AE_Collector

Quote from: Wallphone on November 01, 2010, 08:16:48 PM
Terry, do you have a phone that looks like Matt's? I'm sorry to get your hopes up like that Matt.

Dial White  to 2 which as Doug mentioned is bridged to 3 with a brass bar in the clips.
Dial Red to 13
Dial Blue to 1
Dial Yellow to 7 which also has a brass bar bridging 7 to 11

Matt: Looking back at your pictures I only see one of the brass bars on the circuit board. Not sure if the missing one will cause a problem or not. ALso your entire hook switch arm assembly and spring is missing but presumably you have it there, just not in the picture?

By far the easiest way to remove the dial from the base is to leave it attached to the two white standoffs and just pull the standoff's off of the base complete with the dial. You should also have a capacitor with spade lugs on each end to run between terminal 8 & 16 to make the phone's ringer work.

Doug: The metal based phones are 80's (Not 80E's) that have had new cases put on them in refurb to modernise them. There was even a touch call 80 with metal base that looked like an 80E. I'm pretty sure that it was the first AE phone with the 80E style case (faceplate type case) as AE needed a touch call 80. From there they redesigned the 80's into 80E's in both rotary and TC. The easiest way to tell that it is an 80E rather than an 80 is the plastic baseplate on 80E's.

Terry

GTElover

Hi Terry, again thanks for your help its very much appreciated.  The brass bridge was removed to facilitate conversion of the phone to work in the U.K.  If I could still see inside images that would great.  My email address is will.mellor@talktalk.net.

Many thanks

stub

GTElover,
             Nice phone ,I need one in rotary, mine is touch call.
              Here is the wiring diagram showing where Terry said to hook dial.
             Hope this helps.       stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

stub

GTElover,
                Here's the schematic of same phone.   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Wallphone

Thanks Terry for letting me know what I really have here. My phone is new in the rehab box. The sticker on the bottom of the phone says Teksonics Inc. So comparing my phone to an 80 E would be like comparing a 5302 to a 500, correct? Therefore my pictures would be of no use for Matt's problems.

AE_Collector

Quote from: Wallphone on November 02, 2010, 10:10:49 AM
Therefore my pictures would be of no use for Matt's problems.

Correct, your 80 only looks like an 80E but will be wired exactly as an 80 is wired. However, there are either 3 or 4 variations to the wiring in an 80. With any 80 set, find the wiring diagram for the particular model number of the network/pcb board in the phone. They are usually WA-xxxx such as WA-1154 as an example.

And of course an 80 or 80E with a touchpad is wired very differently than one with a dial.

Stub: Quite a few surplus 80E's here.....preferably a black one?

Terry

stub

Terry,
           Of course I need a black one and all the colors now. You all make them look to good to pass up .    stub
Kenneth Stubblefield