"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 80 blue

Started by jfrutschy, December 06, 2013, 10:38:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jfrutschy

Hi everyone,

I found this blue AE 80 the owner wants me to make an offer and not to offend him?  I have no clue!  This is the first blue one I've seen.  It's the only pic at the moment.

I sure would appreciate the forums advice on this one

John

baldopeacock

Looks like a couple more early 80s in that bunch.

Contempra

from my opinion, $50 will be a good price..

HarrySmith

I am not an AE expert but I would make him an offer on the lot. No cord on the blue or yellow ones, stretched out cord on one beige & wrong fingerwheel on the other beige. Badly discolored seafoam green. Can't really tell much about condition, maybe cracks??
I would offer $250.00 for the bunch.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Matilo Telephones

jfrutschy, did the seller find you or did you find him? Does he want to get rid of them or does he want the best price possible.

Can you inspect the phones or are you dealing at a distance?

How bad do you want that blue Phone? How much are you willing to spend?

I´d try to buy the whole lot, if I had any use for the rest of the phones (or knew someone who does).

What it is worth, that is a matter of discussion. What is it worth to you? And what is it worth to the owner?
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

jfrutschy

I'm after the blue and the beige he does have nos cords and other handsets that match.

AE40FAN

The prices for AE80's seem to be all over the place.  From what I've been told this is probably the rarest color AE80.  I am not sure how much these usually go for.  I'm also looking for a blue AE80 but, the condition on this does not seem to be that great.  If he has NOS handsets and cords in this color I say buy it.  Awhile back I was lucky enough to win a Dawn Grey AE80 in excellent shape off ebay for only around 60 bucks.   I believe it should have went for a lot more?  I've never seen another on Ebay...

-Frank

HarrySmith

The Blue is a rare color, the Beige is not. I will let the AE experts chime in but I would offer a max of $100.00 on the blue with a cord. On the Beige, also with a cord, not the one with the black fingerwheel I would say max $40.00. Just my opinion, your actual mileage may vary ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

JorgeAmely

The real AE80 in "WE's Mediterranean Blue" color, is made of soft plastic. Make sure it is not painted. AE named that color as "Forget Me Not Blue Dark Blue".

PS: I was wrong. The name for this color is Dark Blue.
Jorge

Greg G.

Quote from: jfrutschy on December 06, 2013, 10:38:34 AM
Hi everyone,

I found this blue AE 80 the owner wants me to make an offer and not to offend him?  I have no clue!  This is the first blue one I've seen.  It's the only pic at the moment.

I sure would appreciate the forums advice on this one

John

$200 for the lot, assuming there's no major cracks or corrosion.  If he's offended, then he shouldn't ask for offers.  For the blue by itself, $30, but I would consider going for the lot.  You can always clean up and sell or trade the one's you don't want.  But if you're like me, you'll just want to hoard them.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Matilo Telephones

Isn´t that a bit high. 7 telephones for 200 dollar, that´s almost 30 each. I´d start lower. You can Always go up.

Judging by the way the pic was taken and how the phones were placed, it isn´t someones coveted and cherished collection, so he won´t be easily offended by a bid on the low side.
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

G-Man

Matilo Telephones' questions are important in deciding how much you should offer:

• 1. Did he contact you?

2. Did the seller find you or did you find him?

3. Does he want to get rid of them or does he want the best price possible?

Since these are typical garage sale telephones and if you are feeling generous, offer him 10 – 15-dollars each.

AE40FAN

Quote from: JorgeAmely on December 06, 2013, 05:03:52 PM
The real AE80 in "WE's Mediterranean Blue" color, is made of soft plastic. Make sure it is not painted. AE named that color as "Forget Me Not Blue".

Jorge,

You have some of the most beautiful phones i've ever seen and this is no exception! 

-Frank

JorgeAmely

Frank:

Thank you for the comment. I appreciate it. However, let's not lose track of the fact that the blue AE80 could be painted. Although, the color looks very close to the real thing. But it would be worth it to ask for example to take the caps off or maybe remove the top housing to check out the insides. Another question to the potential seller would be a picture of the bottom. The real blue AE80s were not made past 1958.

This is the third blue AE80 I have ever seen. I think Terry from Canada has one, but he has it under an umbrella to protect it from UV rays and has a little electric fence around it.  ;D ;D ;D
Jorge

twocvbloke

I'd say $75 for the lot, $10 a piece, the $5 for a couple of beers or something... :)