News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Hello, New Member Here! - Marcelo L.

Started by Marcelo L., October 06, 2011, 04:25:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

Here's the wiring for the cord set to the "new" wooden subset box.  When you get the parts from Steve, we will help you wire up the components correctly.
Dave

Marcelo L.

Quote from: wds on October 09, 2011, 04:23:14 PM
Here's the wiring for the cord set to the "new" wooden subset box.  When you get the parts from Steve, we will help you wire up the components correctly.

I don't think the picture uploaded.

wds

double click on the pdf file right below my message.  
Dave

wds

Are far as a dial, that's why I like to buy a beat up 302, it has all the parts you need to make the subset, plus the dial.  I try to buy one that's in bad shape, that way I don't feel so bad stripping it for the parts.
Dave

Marcelo L.

Quote from: wds on October 09, 2011, 04:25:56 PM
double click on the pdf file right below my message.  

Got it, thanks

Marcelo L.

Quote from: wds on October 09, 2011, 04:35:00 PM
Are far as a dial, that's why I like to buy a beat up 302, it has all the parts you need to make the subset, plus the dial.  I try to buy one that's in bad shape, that way I don't feel so bad stripping it for the parts.

I just purchased this bakelite 302 from ebay for just under $25+ shipping.

This should now give me everything I need for the dial conversion and subset, correct?

Marcelo L.

I noticed that the dial face looked rather worn on this phone so I purchased a repro dial face overlay on ebay from a seller called oldphoneguy.

Kenny C

Your 302 has a 150B plate which has smaller numbers and red letters. That overlay is for a 150A plate. The 150A plates just have numbers and were used in rural areas that didnt have an exchange name and therefore didnt need the letters. I hope you didn't pay too much for it.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

GG

That 302 appears to be in darn good condition unless it's smashed in some place that isn't visible.  I'd say it's worth keeping as it is, and go looking for a smashed one to use as a parts donor. 

Note the area code and numeric number label.  That phone was in use somewhere at least into the late 1960s, long after 500s were universally installed for new service in Bell area.

wds

It looks like that 302 has a nice 5H dial on it, which is a correct dial for your D1.  The worn numbers/letters are fine for display - remember, it's a 75 year old phone, so the numbers are allowed to be worn a little.  Gives it that authentic look. 
Dave

Marcelo L.

Quote from: Kenny C on October 10, 2011, 11:51:13 PM
Your 302 has a 150B plate which has smaller numbers and red letters. That overlay is for a 150A plate. The 150A plates just have numbers and were used in rural areas that didnt have an exchange name and therefore didnt need the letters. I hope you didn't pay too much for it.

Kenny, I'm using the 302 dial and the overlay on my older 202. I picked this dial overlay because I've seen a few 202's with numeric only dials and figured this would be correct. It should still fit, right?
(The dial overlay was $5 shipped)

Marcelo L.

Quote from: GG on October 11, 2011, 03:03:41 AM

That 302 appears to be in darn good condition unless it's smashed in some place that isn't visible.  I'd say it's worth keeping as it is, and go looking for a smashed one to use as a parts donor. 

Note the area code and numeric number label.  That phone was in use somewhere at least into the late 1960s, long after 500s were universally installed for new service in Bell area.

GG, from the pictures and the seller's description the phone appears to be in pretty good cosmetic condition for its age, and it works! It was also upgraded with a modular plug so it will be easy enough to test once it arrives.

I will be removing the dial and network from this phone to get my 202 and Kellogg subset project working, but I will eventually source the parts to bring the 302 back to operational condition.

Marcelo L.

Quote from: wds on October 11, 2011, 09:09:29 AM
It looks like that 302 has a nice 5H dial on it, which is a correct dial for your D1.  The worn numbers/letters are fine for display - remember, it's a 75 year old phone, so the numbers are allowed to be worn a little.  Gives it that authentic look. 

I agree with you on trying to keep some of the phone's patina but from the pictures it looks like the #1 is completely gone and wouldn't the numeric only dial be more suitable for an older 202?

Once I get the 302 in my hands I can make the final decision, sometimes you can bring old lettering back with pen or marker and a steady hand.

LarryInMichigan

QuoteOnce I get the 302 in my hands I can make the final decision, sometimes you can bring old lettering back with pen or marker and a steady hand.

I have done that with at least a few dial plates, and if I can do it, anyone can (and better).

Larry

Marcelo L.

Next thing on my shopping list is cloth phone cord.  ;D

I will need a new handset cord, a cord that goes from the phone to the subset and finally a cord that goes from the subset to the wall.

I want to confirm that I have the correct amount of conductors for each cord that I need.

Handset – 3 conductor (spade ends on both sides)

Phone to subset – 4 conductor (spade ends on both sides)

Subset to wall – 4 conductor (spade ends on one side and modular plug on the other)

Just to reiterate what I'm doing; I'm adding a 5H dial to my D1 and wiring it to my Kellogg subset box using a coil and condenser sourced from a 302.

Am I on the right track here? ???