"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The essence of "all original": copper-plated 302 with modular jack

Started by unbeldi, November 24, 2013, 12:59:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

unbeldi

Doug Rose

I know Mike Brown and he is a stand up guy. Mike bought a huge amount of phones 5 or six years ago and is now selling off his excess phones. Mike bought very end end phones for his collection. Money was no object. Check out his website.

I'm not sure Mike fixes up his own phones. I did ask Mike if there was a H1 stamp still there over the copper proving it was a Bell System gift. I have has two nickel cover bases with the H1 in vermilion on the nickel (or chrome). He correctly stated if it was there is was lost in the modular punch out. I cannot imagine punching out a modular adapter space in metal so I am leaning towards it is a real Belly System gift. Maybe some parts got moved out in its life and in.

I think we have to be a understanding that not all of us have the same level of expertise in building or repairing phones.  Some just like a cool phone sitting on a shelf.  Just because a collector has many phones, doesn't mean he knows everything about them. I include myself in this group.

Doug
Kidphone

TelePlay

So, any guess at what the "green" layer is under the handset? Looks like felt, could be plastic. Looks orginal to the phone.

Doug Rose

Guess?  Sure, my guess is there is no metal Hookswitch cover and it was not copper plated. Someones idea of dressing it up. If I owned it I would nickel a metal hks cover. The correct open face finger wheel and proper handset cord, this could be a daily driver and still look cool. I think it is a sharp looking phone. ...Doug
Kidphone

WEBellSystemChristian

Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Sargeguy

I'd like to see a more detailed provenance for the phone before accepting it as Bell System made.  Otherwise I would only bid based on aesthetic appeal.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409