News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

DSL Modems

Started by Babybearjs, March 07, 2016, 06:03:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

I wanted to ask everyone, which of the DSL modems have the best quality and longevity... I'm having issues with the modems as I'm trying to find one that has external antennas on them that are upgradeable and removable. as far as brand goes, who else makes these things other then Actiontec and Zyxel? I have had several units fail over the last 3 years and am looking for a better brand other then what Centurylink will offer... any help??
John

CanadianGuy

That sounds like a lot of failures to me. I'd consider looking into other possible causes, like dirty power or spikes of voltage on your phone line or something. I don't often see it, but you might want to try running the modem on a UPS or at least a power bar. And maybe on a different plug, fed off a different breaker etc.

My ISP uses Pace/2Wire for their VDSL2 service (TV & higher tier internet plans) and Actiontec for ADSL service. They're a regional provider that supplies the device, so the customer doesn't have to buy their own.

Also, what do you mean by failing? It might be a signal problem where swapping modems seems to fix the problem.

Babybearjs

I had a Actiontec C1000A that just quit working. I had gotten it new from a neighbor who was a subcontractor for Centurylink.... Brand New in a box, and it didn't even last 6 months... it powered up, but wouldn't POST. so the unit was considered dead. I also have one that works but the Unit acts sluggish... I reattached my V1000W from Frontier... and it seems to be working for the moment... but it keeps logging off the internet... so I have to always reboot the unit. Both Actiontec and ZYXEL have terrible C/S as I called Actiontec today and they only have the GT784WN.... and Centurylink doesn't have that model... what other brands do you all know about that have external antennas??
John