"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

It's become a sickness.

Started by AET, March 15, 2009, 03:59:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AET

Well, my ITT is no longer alone. 

Today, I bought another 1978 AT&T Western Electric phone, which just needed the ringer fixed, which I did and was 12 bucks.  I also bought an unidentified brown phone, which was made in 1972 and refurbished in 1982.  The thing is like brand new.  The dial is firm, the case and handset are like new, as are the guts.  I was willing to pay 25 to have it.  I was gawking at it last time I was in Coumbus, and when my dad pointed it out, I knew it was a sign to buy the darn thing.  So, here they are. They even came with an extra cord with a 4-prong.

I also looked for my wall-model which remains unidentified, to no luck.  I'll have to check in the shed at our other house sometime soon!!

- Tom

Dan

I'm going to guess your brown is a Stromberg - Carlson.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

McHeath

Congrads on the new phones, that brown one is very nice.  The white one is an interesting mix of old time stuff like the hardwired handset cord and new stuff like the plastic ringer frame and the circuit board network.  What make is it?

Dan/Panther

McHeath;
I have one like it in Brown, that is made by ITT, 1983.
The Brown Stromberg he has, is very much a copy of WE500, I wish I had gotten one like Tom's.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

AET

The white one is an ITT, dated 1978.  I am keeping it because of the fact that it's got great Columbus history, like the out-of-date 414 area code, which was shrunk down with the growing of Milwaukee, and they gave us 920 there.  It's a neat phone, and I don't know much about it.

The brown one is my new daily driver, the thing is like brand new.  I think after the 82 refurb it was put away.  The case has hardly got a scratch on it, and the dial is nice and tight yet. 

The black one was just a good deal, and I like the long cord, but it's also a 78 and is a full modular.  Besides a bad ringer, which we fixed, there was nothing wrong with this or any of the phones (besides the white ITT's yellowing) I only have the brown one hooked up, thanks for letting me know it's a stromberg.  There were no markings I could find.  Dad says he isn't listening to all those phones ringing all the time. 

My brother I think wants the black WE, he was putzing with it for about an hour when I got it.  Even polished it for me.  I'm thriled with all three of them, and will be acquiring more as cash flow permits. 
- Tom

McHeath

If you really want to blow the folks out the door hook all three of them up and turn the ringers to full, then call in on a cell phone.   :o

That brown 500 is pretty sweet, it looks mint and is a nice color.

mienaichizu

AET

Thanks everyone for the compliments on the brown one, I'm definately keeping her and keeping her in good shape.  The thing is so clean I can't beleive it, I'll get more pics.  It even looked better sitting next to a worn-torn pink GTE, I think it was.  Not very appealing to me.  My dad hates me to spend money and said that one was worth it, so that sealed the deal.  Gotta keep my eye out for more gems like that!
- Tom