AE High Boy 32 ?

Started by stub, March 28, 2011, 01:39:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stub

Hi all,
         Is this made by Automatic Electric or home made ?      stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Doug Rose

Stub....looks like the real deal to me. Just has the high top mount instead of the shorty. Kind of cool looking.....Doug
Kidphone

stub

Doug ,
         Yeah I like it too, but it got too rich for my billfold, $193.50 + 14 to ship.  I haven't seen one like this in AE catalogs .  Anyone could put this cradle on . Just wondering if AE did one?               stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Wallphone

Stub, I have seen them before with the longer neck but not very often. In my pic library I have them listed as a 1A (same as the short neck) but I also have an AE Type 5 listed that is the non-dial version that also has the long neck. I had that auction saved but deleted it. Was there a picture of the cradle label? I'm wondering if maybe this was a UK AE phone, and they possibly used the longer necks. You have more AE catalogs than I do and I didn't see any long necks in my catalogs. Where's Terry at when we need him?
Doug Pav

stub

Wallphone ,
              I've seen those also on a 1A  but not on a 32. Here is a pic of cradle.   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

GG

Stub, I think the handset on the one you've pictured is from ATEA in Belgium.  The odd transmitter cover is the clue for that.  Though if the dial is alphanumeric, then it (or the number plate) was probably added in the US. 

I also think the extended base on that one was Belgian. 

If someone from here ends up with this one, it would be most interesting to see pictures of the various components. 

The long necks were definitely USA; I had one many years ago that came out of an old telco warehouse (sold it, sheesh, that was dumb).  Why AE did that is a mystery; possibly to accommodate Kellogg Grab-a-phone handsets or some other non-AE handsets?   

Doug Rose

The handset belongs on the AE 1A pictured with the ringer on the bottom. The handset  was made for this set....Doug
Kidphone

stub

I thought it was a 32 ,as pictured below, with the correct handset and someone put a long neck cradle on it..  ( AE Catalogue 4055)  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

stub

Here are some more pictures of phone in question.   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

stub

Last one .  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

AE_Collector

Okay remember, I am AE_Collector, not AE_Expert.

There were a fair number of AE phones and other items that we didn't use here in BC Canada for some reason. I think it was most likely related to what AE decided to make in Canada versus us having to import from the US and pay taxes and duty on. We used many Northern Electric items rather than AE items here for these reasons. I never saw an AE32 in use here and I don't own one myself.

As for the tall cradles I have always assumed that it was the first version they put out so it was used on the oldest of the AE 1 and 1A sets. Everything looks correct to me with this AE32 except possibly the tall cradle. I believe that the distinctive transmitter on that handset is an indication that it is the induction coil type handset which was primarily used on PABX/PAX phones. I also view the AE 32 phone as primarily a PABX/PAX phone. It is really just an additional ring added to the base of an 11A set to accomodate a ringer.

By the way, I am fairly certain that Ray K made some of these add on base rings so it is always possible that it could be reproduction. But the bell in the base is correct as well so it wouldn't be easy for someone to turn 1A sets into AE32's complete with that ringer even if they obtained the base rings from Ray.

I noticed that Doug Pav posted pictures of a AE5 metal based cradle set with no dial capability. I was of the understanding that the phone pictured was an AE1 (as opposed to an AE 1A). I am not up to speed on all the iterations of similar looking phones with different model numbers due to them having the induction coil handset versus conventional handset though (for example 1A / 11A set). Maybe a 1 and 5 are basically the same set with wiring and/or handset differences?

Does anyone know of a good site to ID AE models? I have a series of AE phone pictures with model numbers on a photobucket site. Like many other things I started it some time ago and never got back to do any more improvements since. If anyone has any comments on further additions or refinements let me know and I'll try to make some changes. I used to use Gary Stathatos "Collectorville" site to ID AE (and other manufacturers) models but it went off the air some time ago.

Here's my photobucket pictures of AE models:
http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b273/AE_Collector/Old%20Phones%20-%20Automatic%20Electric/

Terry

stub

Here is a pic of my AE-32, it used to be a lamp before I rescued it.  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

stub

Terry,
          This is from a site that is no longer available.   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

AE_Collector

Hi Ken:

That is probably where my thought that the 1 was the non dial capable model and the 1A could be dial or non dial but was capable of being a dial set.

Do you have all the AE sets from the collectorville site printed out there? Is there an AE 5 listed and what does it look like?

Anyone know what happened to the Collectorville site and/or Gary Stathatos?

Terry

stub

Terry,
        Mine are from " Telephone World- Pics of AutomaticElectric Telephones " and no picture of a #5. Here is what I have- AE Catalogue 4055 , 1934,  pg 9 (below). Also in AE Bulletin # 1015 , 1929 , pg. 17 show  the 5A and and diagram of the 15A.
        American Electric Bulletin #100 , pg. 5 shows a #5 also.  
        Sorry about pics , it's the best this old camera can do. You can click on picture to enlarge it.   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield