News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Bell System Flag

Started by Russ Kirk, February 22, 2012, 05:14:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russ Kirk

I just wanted to share with my friends my new eBay acquisition.  It's a nylon Bell System Flag.  This is huge!  4' x 6'.  Here is the eBay auction photo.  Now I have new dilemma,  where to display the flag.  My wife has already ruled out getting a flag pole in the front yard as well as hanging it above our bed.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

ESalter

Cool Flag!!!  I bought one about a year ago ($30 BIN) on ebay and gave it to my dad this past Christmas.  He was pretty excited, My mom won't let him hang it in their living room though :)  ---Eric

Adam

I think both Russ and Eric's dad need to start thinking about finding space for a man cave...
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

Russ Kirk

When I first saw one of the these flags it was 1980 and I just started with Pacific Telephone.  A supervisor ordered one from the comcode catalog for a retiring co-worker.  I thought the flag was so cool.  Have not seen one (not on a flag pole ) since.  When I saw this on eBay i told my wife I have been looking for one of these for over 30 years.  Now I finally have one.  I did find a place in the closet of my phone room,  out of the sun and still easily visible to visitors. 
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

ESalter

Flags are definitely fun.  Someone at a phone show had a blue flag with the old bell logo, I REALLY would like to have one of those someday.  Hopefully one will turn up.  My other hobby is railroading, specifically the Chicago and North Western RR.  I have two C&NW flags right now, one is a 3x5 one that my girlfriend actually let me hang on the bedroom wall in our apartment.  The other is 5x8, let me tell you, that thing is BIG!  Our old apartment had 11 foot high ceilings, so I was able to hang it.  I stood on my tippy-toes on top of two of our kitchen chairs and reached as high as I possibly could holding the top of that flag up and there was still about 6 inches of it laying on the ground.  What I want to really do sometime is make a small freestanding "stand" out of PVC pipe to hang it up at shows or wherever I want to.  ---Eric

jsowers

Russ, that's a nice flag and one I hadn't seen before.

I found this 4x6 Bell flag almost ten years ago on eBay. It's wool and has a few moth holes. I keep it folded up and out of the light. It's taped to my front doorway just to get this shot.

People who display quilts sew a curtain rod pocket on the top back, or heavy duty VelCro, That could work with a flag too, and wouldn't cause any damage to it.
Jonathan

Russ Kirk

Just added flag #2 to my collection.   This one is 5x8 new in the original box, cotton and all sewn,  not stamped.  The photo is from the auction.   At first I thought about hanging it in garage since that is last place with enough vacant space to display.  Not sure that is the best place because it is in such good condition.  
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI