News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I went VOIP, need tone pulse converters!

Started by Netdewt, February 08, 2016, 07:30:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Netdewt

I decided to cut the Phone co out and save $400 a year. I went with Ooma.

I have a 554, a 500, and a 302 that need pulse tone converting. So, I bought the black box from old phone works. I really hoped that it would work to plug it in next to the Ooma, but it will only dial 1 tone before it quits that way.

I can't try it with the 554 because it has nothing modular.

The 302 will work for about 8 numbers before it quits. Could this have something to do with timing of the dial? It's a tad slower than my others.

It seems to work well with my 500, so 1 for 3.

Any suggestions for a whole house solution? Or do I need to adapt all phones individually?

dsk

At the page: http://tinyurl.com/zykomoo
They say:
Testing has shown that this Pulse to Tone converter will NOT work with Magic Jack nor AT&T Uverse. Some Voice Over Internet Protocol (VOIP) solutions are powered through USB ports on a computer and this simply does not provide enough line power and ringing energy for vintage telephones (with or without the Pulse to Tone converter). The pulse to Tone convertor will work with many VOIP adapters that are specifically designed to power multiple telephone sets or provide a "whole house solution/service".

So the problem are probably a lack of power to the unit. This could be solved by adding power in some way, or reducing the power used by the phone. The 554 is just a 500 wall mount so it could be OK.  A simple test could be to add in a resistor in series with the line for the 302, probably only a few ohms (I would start to test with 100 ohms), it could even be enough to remove slate red wire from the induction coil terminal L1 and connect it to the R terminal. It is wort to test it out.

dsk

dsk

dsk

Another way to try it out is the way you shouldn't by many reasons.  Putting in a 9 v battery in series with the line between the black box and the telephone adapter.  It may help, but a battery in such circuit may cause be a risk of overload of battery one or another way, and the battery may cause a fire, start leaking, break the line etc. It is not likely to happen but I have heard about it, and when it it dried out the bad line will at least be worse until it is changed. If this shows up to be a solution you may end up with even more gadgets, as a loop current booster or just a PBX.

You will never know what really works before you have tested it out.

dsk

Edit:
PS
I guess it will be safe with one of these solutions.  (enclosed sketch)
Such boosters may be pretty over prized.  I have seen ads up to $473, and I do not understand what they do better. They could ave current adjustments, but since they dont state to have, they probably doesn't have. 
Your report tells us that you have limited need of more juice so approx 9V should do it fine.
DS

dsk

I did forget to mention the importance of polarity here on my simple circuit. When it rise the voltage to telephone it is the right way.

dsk

Netdewt

Quote from: dsk on February 08, 2016, 08:00:43 AM
At the page: http://tinyurl.com/zykomoo
They say:
Testing has shown that this Pulse to Tone converter will NOT work with Magic Jack nor AT&T Uverse. Some Voice Over Internet Protocol (VOIP) solutions are powered through USB ports on a computer and this simply does not provide enough line power and ringing energy for vintage telephones (with or without the Pulse to Tone converter). The pulse to Tone convertor will work with many VOIP adapters that are specifically designed to power multiple telephone sets or provide a "whole house solution/service".

So the problem are probably a lack of power to the unit. This could be solved by adding power in some way, or reducing the power used by the phone. The 554 is just a 500 wall mount so it could be OK.  A simple test could be to add in a resistor in series with the line for the 302, probably only a few ohms (I would start to test with 100 ohms), it could even be enough to remove slate red wire from the induction coil terminal L1 and connect it to the R terminal. It is wort to test it out.

dsk

I did just rewire the 302. So it could be that I messed something up...

Has anyone tried the rotatone? http://www.oldphoneworks.com/rotatone-pulse-to-tone-converter.html

Does a whole house solution exist? I do wish the black box had a plug in option to make sure the power is high enough. I'd have no problem with a wall wart if it worked for the whole house.

dsk

Quote from: Netdewt on February 08, 2016, 08:58:01 PM

1)I did just rewire the 302. So it could be that I messed something up...

2)Has anyone tried the rotatone? http://www.oldphoneworks.com/rotatone-pulse-to-tone-converter.html

3)Does a whole house solution exist? I do wish the black box had a plug in option to make sure the power is high enough. I'd have no problem with a wall wart if it worked for the whole house.

1) You have probably done it right, it dials out at least the first digits.  I t may consume marginally to much power so moving the wire as described from whats right to let not short out the entire circuit may be whats needed "remove slate red wire from the induction coil terminal L1 and connect it to the R terminal"

2) I have not tested rotatone, but a similar product. Works for me, but with another adapter. This is a unit for each phone.

3) I use dialgizmo for all telephones on one adapter, it should not be any considerable difference to your box. The dialgizmo does not work well with all telephone circuit. I had to modify the one of mine by moving a dial wire.

3b)  It is pulse to tone converters on the European (German?) market using external power supply. I have never tested those. In North America the MITEL Smart1 units may be an option, but programming may be difficult.

This article may be of interest: http://tinyurl.com/hyfjs6v

19and41

I have OOMA, have tried the black box with the same result.  I currently have a dialgizmo and it allows conversion of the digits of the dial and no more.  It doesn't have memory, pound nor star .  None of the functions that require the dial hold to access.  Most of the time speed requires the use of my dect handset when going through call centers and such.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Netdewt

Quote from: 19and41 on February 10, 2016, 08:55:56 PM
I have OOMA, have tried the black box with the same result.  I currently have a dialgizmo and it allows conversion of the digits of the dial and no more.  It doesn't have memory, pound nor star .  None of the functions that require the dial hold to access.  Most of the time speed requires the use of my dect handset when going through call centers and such.

So you're saying some of the functions that are supposed to work don't?

Does it work next to the Ooma with multiple phones connected?

19and41

None of the functions other than digits 1 through zero work.  I use mine with both a DECT 6.0 wireless and a single dial corded phone, either a Trimline or AE 40.  The base and phone at the OOMA device.  They ring in also.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Rex_S

I first tried the black box and it only dialed a few digits.  then I bought dial gizmo and it works at the VOIP interface.  However, my candlestick wouldn't work on it.  I put the black box close to the candle stick and it now works.

The dial gizmo doesn't need to store power.  Apparently the black box needs time to store power from the phone line so leave it plugged in a while before dialing.  Also, if you dial too much it will drain the stored power.