News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

something I have never done

Started by Kenny C, April 22, 2010, 09:51:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny C

I have a few G1 handsets  I need to bake. I need to know how long to bake them and what temperature to bake them on and your paint preference
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

McHeath

I use Krylon plastic paint, and bake the handsets at about 200 degrees for a couple of hours.  Makes a really nice finish, be sure to clean all the oil off the handset before you paint it.

foots

I'm glad you brought this up Kenny, I too have a G1 that I need to paint.

McHeath, does baking the paint on the  handset make your oven stink?
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

Craig T

Hi Foots, I had asked him the same thing a while back... it does smell some, but man did Heath ever get a nice result from baking the paint.

Kenny C

i just baked a finger wheel and it turned out great
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Greg G.

Quote from: Kennyc1955 on April 23, 2010, 11:25:42 PM
i just baked a finger wheel and it turned out great

I've never heard of baking a finger wheel.  Was it warped or something?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Kenny C

you just spray with paint and bake at 250 for 1 hour. or until golden brown. ;) ;D ;)
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Greg G.

Quote from: Kennyc1955 on April 24, 2010, 12:46:38 AM
you just spray with paint and bake at 250 for 1 hour. or until golden brown. ;) ;D ;)

I see, part of the painting process.  What's for dessert?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

LarryInMichigan

Painting party at Kenny's house tomorrow ;D

Jim Stettler

Kenny,
For the record,
I have been collecting phones since the early 70's.
I have never tried to bake any parts (yet).

My hat is off to you,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

McHeath

It smells a bit, but not horribly.  Here is the last handset I painted which came out really well:

Greg G.

Quote from: McHeath on April 24, 2010, 11:46:44 PM
It smells a bit, but not horribly.  Here is the last handset I painted which came out really well:

Your method, including type of paint?
- Mike Row
e

McHeath

This handset is a G1 and was a basketcase, from a phone that probably lived it's life in a barn or outbuilding of some sort, there were mud dauber nests in the phone and the handset had lost all of it's finish and was badly pitted. 

I wet sanded the handset, 800 grit, 1000 grit, 2000 grit.  Then I painted it once, with Krylon plastic paint, baked it at 250 for a couple of hours, then sanded it again with 2000 grit.  Final coats of paint, baked again, and shazam, it came out quite well. 

The baking is what really makes the difference, I've done other phones and when you bake it the difference is noticeable in durability and evenness of the finish. 

Greg G.

Quote from: McHeath on April 25, 2010, 12:40:05 AM

I wet sanded the handset, 800 grit, 1000 grit, 2000 grit.  Then I painted it once, with Krylon plastic paint, baked it at 250 for a couple of hours, then sanded it again with 2000 grit.  Final coats of paint, baked again, and shazam, it came out quite well. 

How many coats of paint did you use in the last step?
- Mike Row
e

foots

That handset came out really nicely.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"