News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How to convert a WE 1C to a cocot?

Started by Haf, August 30, 2013, 10:36:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haf

As never seen a cocot phone in real I'm not sure about how to convert and what I need for. I've got three WE 1D2 C1 payphones one has shipping damage, I think the board is smashed somewhere. But I always wanted to have a cocot payphone, as I think this simulates the function of a real payphone better with a single slot than Stan's controller, or in fact it is a real payphone. The thing I really want is the voice function telling you how much money to insert.

What do I have to change inside the phone, only the board? And what type of smart board is best for this? If I only have to change the boards, what about the one round plug, as seen on the internet Protel boards for example have only one round and one square plug on it. I have different types of validators in my payphones, I bet the Mars, the newest one will work best, right? Or does even one with that CF DTF switch work, or none of them? And one important question, how to programme, do you have to do that with someone like payphone411 (for free) or has anyone the ability to programme one of those boards. And what is important too, in Germany all long distance calls start with a 0, in USA the 0 is for the operator, can a smart board be programmed to make long distance calls here with numbers starting with  0?

Lots of questions I know. I would be very pleased if one or more can help me, maybe someone even has the parts I need, if so I would be pleased about an offer.

Haf
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

dsk

I don't know why those  electronics genies out there hasn't done it yet.  The payphone controller should just include something like the dial plan in an ATA, but have time between collecting coins instead of gateway number.

Maybe it even may be done in one of those micro computers as Raspberry pi?

I have experimented a little with the Norwegian 16 kHz billing signal, and the old electromechanical counter. A relay instead will be able to give collect signal to a payphone, and that was proably whts happened in some of the payphones in the 70-90's.

dsk

dsk

Playing a little around.
Still I dont know much about payphones.
I guess what this extremely simple circuit her does are to simple, but it acts like the old Norwegian payphones.
Is it what you call semi- postpay?, or just post pay?

1 Listen for dial tone, and dial
2 When the other end answers, they may not hear you, so insert a coin and the transmitter starts working.
(When the coin is detected/collected)
3 Hang up when finished.

This could be done, and I tested with an not so old siemens phone.

I used the press button to indicate coin collected.

The only trouble I got was when shouting loud, the current dropped, and the thyristor stopped feeding the transmitter.  (solved by putting a 680 ohms resistor across the transmitter)

Why did I use this components? Because I had them.
What will those investments be? approx $1

The circuit is polarity sensitive, but that shouldn't be a problem, just reverse the line.

dsk

poplar1

dsk, thanks for working on this project!

"Semi-postpay" was the term used by AE. WE used "postpay." In both you deposited the coin after the party answered.

COCOT is a "different animal" altogether==Customer Owned Coin Operated Telephone. These are the post-1984 "smart phones" that work on regular POTS lines.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.