News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

payphone opened up/no network

Started by southernphoneman, May 19, 2013, 02:33:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southernphoneman

I just opened up my western electric 1d2 and found the network is missing. can a 425 network from a model 500,be compatible with this phone? thank you.

DavePEI

Quote from: southernphoneman on May 19, 2013, 02:33:06 PM
I just opened up my western electric 1d2 and found the network is missing. can a 425 network from a model 500,be compatible with this phone? thank you.
Sadly, it is a lot less than no network. The totalizer, coin mech, main board and everything is missing. All that is left is the coin relay, hookswitch, and dial.

That being said, it might be possible to do as you say, install a 425 network in it, but it will have no pay functions, just basically a 2500 set. That being said, perhaps someone reading this has done similar - it would save you a lot of trouble. Sadly, I have never done it, and couldn't advise you on what would be necessary to do. Biggest chore, I would think would be to dope out the keypad and hook switch.

Photo below of what a 1D2 should look like inside:

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

ESalter

I have extra WE chassis boards and Mars validator/totalizers if you're interested.  These two pieces would make the phone complete again.  $35 plus shipping for the pair.

---Eric

DavePEI

Quote from: southernphoneman on May 19, 2013, 09:24:38 PM
Quote from: DavePEI on May 19, 2013, 02:38:45 PM
Quote from: southernphoneman on May 19, 2013, 02:33:06 PM
Sadly, it is a lot less than no network. The totalizer, coin mech, main board and everything is missing. All that is left is the coin relay, hookswitch, and dial.

That being said, it might be possible to do as you say, install a 425 network in it, but it will have no pay functions, just basically a 2500 set. That being said, perhaps someone reading this has done similar - it would save you a lot of trouble. Sadly, I have never done it, and couldn't advise you on what would be necessary to do. Biggest chore, I would think would be to dope out the keypad and hook switch.

Photo below of what a 1D2 should look like inside:

Dave
dave thank you for your help and input on this phone. I appreciate it.....southernphoneman.

Note Eric's message to you. If you can afford it, that would be your best option. Too bad you got shortchanged with the phone.

Dav e
C*NET 1-651-0001

ESalter

The yellow screw terminal board on the chassis board.  Top to bottom they're Ring, Tip, Ground, and Bell.  For a coin line you need to hook up R, T, & G.  For our purposes, hook the line to R&T just like you would on a regular phone.  The black and yellow wires coming out the bottom hook to the coin relay.  Yellow on top, black on the side.  When you look at the coin relay in your phone you'll understand what I mean by that.

---Eric

southernphoneman

Quote from: ESalter on May 28, 2013, 08:05:35 PM
The yellow screw terminal board on the chassis board.  Top to bottom they're Ring, Tip, Ground, and Bell.  For a coin line you need to hook up R, T, & G.  For our purposes, hook the line to R&T just like you would on a regular phone.  The black and yellow wires coming out the bottom hook to the coin relay.  Yellow on top, black on the side.  When you look at the coin relay in your phone you'll understand what I mean by that.

---Eric
thank you eric,everything is working except transmission,ordered new handset from payphones.com after that everything is good to go. thank you once again.

ESalter

If a new handset doesn't fix it, let me know.  I've had a couple with bad amplifiers before, but never a bad handset(unless physically broken).  Yours looks to have the amplifier built into the dialpad assembly.  I don't have any like that, all of mine are a separate board that mounts below the dialpad.

---Eric

ESalter

I'm pretty confident it's the amplifier.  I tested the chassis board before I sent it to you, so I know that works.  Provided you don't have bad enough luck to have two bad handsets(very unlikely) the only part left is the dialpad and amplifier, which are part of the same assembly on your phone.  Try being a little rough with the hook switch, see if that makes any difference at all.  Shake it and tap it a little bit, sometimes they get crudded up and/or stuck.  However, it looks like yours only has one physical set of contacts and the rest is IC based.

I don't know if you want to spend any more money on the phone, but I do have spare dial assemblies and amplifier boards.  They would be a little different than yours, the amplifier board would be separate and mount under two of the faceplate nuts under the dial assembly.  It looks like you have a contact closure type loud button, I have a board that should work with the button you have, so you wouldn't need to change it.  I would want $30 plus shipping for a dial pad and amplifier board.

---Eric

southernphoneman

payphone is repaired and fully operational.my thanks goes to eric salter for his guidance and his parts, and thank you to dave pei for his input.

DavePEI

Quote from: southernphoneman on June 08, 2013, 01:29:35 PM
payphone is repaired and fully operational.my thanks goes to eric salter for his guidance and his parts, and thank you to dave pei for his input.
Glad you were able to get the parts and have it done! Looks great!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

Mr. Bones

Congrats, southerphoneman!

I am hoping my next cool phone is a 3-slot payphone. If anybody has one in the KC area, and needs it hauled off, please, let me know!!! ;D I can likely arrange to do so, for free!

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus