News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

293/295A lot from Ebay

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, November 20, 2017, 05:12:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

I got this lot recently for $79. For 3 295A's, one original 293, and a converted 293, I think this was a great deal! A couple of them have missing parts, and they all have mildly split backboards, but they're all in great shape otherwise!

The phones are in much better shape than I thought they were based on the auction pictures. I thought that the 293 had a rotten backboard, but it was just bad lighting. I'm really happy that this one has the original knurled thumbscrew and OST transmitter cup. I have an OST receiver that I was planning on using for one of my candlesticks, but it has a lot of old damage that wouldn't look right on a totally restored phone. I think it would be right at home on this phone!

Still pretty irritated at the seller. He followed my instructions pretty well (individually wrap each phone with bubble wrap, and make sure that the phones don't shift around in the box), but he didn't follow the Unneededly Written Law of Common Sense. The box he used was just tall enough to fit the 295A's, but not the 293, since the transmitter stuck out. He removed it from the phone, put the parts in a plastic bag, and crammed the bag in the corner of the box! The transmitter mount wound up bent, but I was able to straighten it pretty harmlessly.

www.ebay.com/itm/162740729203

Overall, pretty happy with this haul! I still have a ton of other phones on my restoration list, but I plan on keeping the subsets for my candlesticks.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

WEBellSystemChristian

Complete 293:
Christian Petterson

WEBellSystemChristian

Converted 293 to 295A:
Christian Petterson

WEBellSystemChristian

Christian Petterson

WEBellSystemChristian

Christian Petterson

WEBellSystemChristian

Christian Petterson

Doug Rose

I saw it, it was a great deal....but the shipping and missing parts made me pass, These are not the easiest guys to get working, at least for me....Doug
Kidphone

Pourme

Good buy...You'll have no shortage of projects!

Benny
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

WEBellSystemChristian

Thanks guys!

Quote from: Pourme on November 20, 2017, 06:18:37 PM
You'll have no shortage of projects!

I haven't had a shortage of projects for 3 years! ;D
Christian Petterson

WEBellSystemChristian

Here's a quick update:

The 293 is in far better shape than I thought... :o

This is after a few minutes with Neutral Restor-A-Finish with 0000 Steel Wool. The white you see is actually dust--it kind of reminds me of smoke dust from welding or a blow torch. All 5 boxes are covered in it.

It looks better in person!
Christian Petterson

Sargeguy

It's amazing how well these old walnut pieces clean up.  These are the later versions, they will work great with 20-ALs, etc.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409