News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Difference between subset cord and line cord?

Started by Greg G., May 04, 2012, 01:53:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

I was looking through my cord drawer for cloth cords and found these.  I want to use one of them for the 151AL candlestick I'm working on, but I don't know if these are phone-to-subset, or subset-to-wall, or does it make any difference?  They're spade-to-spade, 4-conductor, and about 78" long from tip-to-tip.  Only difference is one is black, the other brown, although the black one seems to be a bit thicker.  I compared the repro cloth line and subset cords on OPW (where I'm sure I got these years ago for a now forgotten project) and the only difference I can find is that they charge $3 more for the line cord.  Also on the line cord they want to know which manufacturers style you want, which I have no idea how they differ or if it really makes that much difference.

So my questions are: 
What do I have here?
Can you interchange cloth subset and line cords in this case?
What is the difference in the manufacturers styles?

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

HowardPgh

The black one may be for Automatic Electric.
Official subset cords usually have the leads on the phone end cut to various lengths so they reach the terminals in the set without too much excess, and the subset end has the leads all the same length (6"?).
Line cords can be the same way except the end at the wall usually has shorter leads as they only need to go to a terminal block.
Usually the difference in manufacturer is what cord restraints are used and the trim of the leads.
Howard

Greg G.

Next question:  I found this one too, which I'm sure is a handset cord, but for which handset?  I think it's for an E1.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

LarryInMichigan

That handset cord would work for an E1 or F1 or almost any other North American 30s-40s handset.

Larry