News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

GPO 746 dial 21 contacts

Started by royalbox, December 14, 2016, 08:21:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

royalbox

Does anyone know of a document online that shows an "exploded" view of the contact assembly for a GPO 746 dial 21 or similar? I have to take a couple apart to make one good one and once the screws are removed, it's difficult to avoid all the bits falling off and losing touch of the correct order. Many thanks.
Barry.

twocvbloke

I have only taken one dial contact assembly apart, and learned not to do it again... ;D

Closest I can find on a diagram, not an exploded one unfortunately, is this one on Bob Freshwater's site on adjusting dials:

http://www.britishtelephones.com/tel%20auto%20b5125.htm

Not high resolution either, but gives a good image of the order in which the contacts go... :)

royalbox

Thanks very much. I'm having second thoughts actually, it was only the contact that shorts out the receiver that was dodgy and I've managed to get it working at the moment with a bit of adjustment using pliers so I'll see how it goes. Thanks again.

andy1702

If you do take the stack of contacts apart, I'd say lay them out on the desk in order in a long line. That's what I did when I did one. Unfortunately after reassembly I now get loud clicks in the handset when dialling. As the speaker is supposed to be shorted out when dialling, I'm guessing I must have put one of the paper-thin insulators back in the wrong order. The phone does work now though, so I'm in no hurry to take it apart again! They really are a pain to keep in the correct order.
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

royalbox

Thank you, good tip. Also taking a photo of it layed out in the correct order would probably be wise.

HarrySmith

Hi Barry. What I do when I take one apart is remove it in one piece with the screw still through it, then I put a twist tie through the hole as I remove the screw. Everything stays in order and you can examine each contact if needed. Also a piece of wire would work.

EDIT
I just realized exactly what I did. They usually have 2 screws, I  take 1 screw out completely, then just loosen the other one, then stick the zip tie through before removing it from the phone! This leaves no room for error, keeps them all in line.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

royalbox