News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1942 Ivory 302 - Now officially part of my collection!

Started by deedubya3800, October 25, 2010, 11:03:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deedubya3800

I'm very happy to announce that this phone I won on the first of this month is now part of my collection! I'm still working on its display; I need to create a false bottom under which to tuck the cords, but that shall be a trivial matter.

It's an ivory 302, dated 3-23-42 on the shell, with consistent dates all through the base. The handset components and cords date from 1941. Being the prewar version, it has the heavier, almost seamless, plastic F1 handset, thinner ears, painted metal filler plate, and regular-sized ivory plungers. It has the 5J dial with a brushed metal fingerwheel and 150B plate.

This telephone is in such superb condition! It arrove via Priority Mail from New Jersey on Tuesday the 12th, and I was so nervous as I opened the heavy box on the counter to inspect the contents! Having been apprehensive about asking any questions prior to the sale, I was still in suspense as to the date of the phone, but as I took it apart and found dates from after the U.S. had entered WW2, I was very excited. Production of civilian equipment was suspended just a few months after this one was produced!

For the past couple weeks since she got here, she's been hiding in a back closet, wrapped in cloths and placed gently and neatly into a plastic shoebox, except to be photographed and shown to relatives. I've been afraid of something attacking the cloth cords, which are still in such great shape. There are only a few light scuffs and scratches here and there, but it retains a high gloss and really shows no signs of regular use. There is, however, a hairline or two in each of the handset caps. The mounting cord terminates in three spaded wires that extend nearly six inches past the strain relief. Wow.

Being the color of white chocolate, I was almost afraid I might try to eat the phone after I'd gotten it out of the box. I took care of that by picking up a bag of Hershey's Bliss white chocolate the day before. Excellent!

I did hook it up to test its functioning, and though the dial is just a touch slow, our exchange accepts it perfectly. The sound quality is excellent both in and out, and the ringer is amazingly clear and loud.

Below are a few pictures I took the other day. They're fair, but the light was low and I didn't think to grab my tripod before I left.

KeithB

:o nom nom nom :o

Apologies for using the tired internet expression, but that Ivory 302 is beautiful, near perfect, and absolutely delicious looking.  Deedubya, I believe you can retire from collecting, now.  ;)

baldopeacock

Very nice, Deedubya.

Interesting thing about the early ivory sets that I've noticed, is that the color appears to be just a little darker than the later ivory sets.   Friend of mine has one of each, both of which have been carefully sanded and polished.   His 1941 set is definitely darker in color.   It doesn't appear to be surface yellowing.   Whether the color change results from age or if it's as-issued, I don't know, but yours looks to be much like his '41.   In any case, that's a great phone.

Doug Rose

Outstanding Ivory 302. Are the plungers painted or made from the same themoplastic the phone was made from. Can you list the eBay auction number for this phone, it is a beauty....Doug
Kidphone

deedubya3800

Quote from: baldopeacock on October 26, 2010, 09:37:48 AM
Very nice, Deedubya.

Interesting thing about the early ivory sets that I've noticed, is that the color appears to be just a little darker than the later ivory sets.   Friend of mine has one of each, both of which have been carefully sanded and polished.   His 1941 set is definitely darker in color.   It doesn't appear to be surface yellowing.   Whether the color change results from age or if it's as-issued, I don't know, but yours looks to be much like his '41.   In any case, that's a great phone.

Thanks a lot! :) Because of the bad lighting, some of the pictures do make it look a little darker and yellower than it really is. It's really not yellowed at all aside from a small spot on the receiver cap.

Quote from: Kidphone on October 26, 2010, 09:42:22 AM
Outstanding Ivory 302. Are the plungers painted or made from the same themoplastic the phone was made from. Can you list the eBay auction number for this phone, it is a beauty....Doug

The plungers are indeed plastic and molded in color. The exact composition of the plastic I can't determine. The item number was 250701691254.

This was my one big-ticket item this year. It was just too beautiful to pass up! Eventually I'd like to add an ivory 352 type to my collection, but I know they were only made post-war. I may like to add other 302 colors as well, but I know they usually go up from here, especially the prewar colors.

Greg G.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

deedubya3800

Quote from: Brinybay on October 26, 2010, 07:32:45 PM
Horrible, just awful.  Send it to me.  Awesome!

I know, it is, and I'd be glad to, but it just seems to have doubled in value since I've had it. At least to me. ;D

deedubya3800

Wow, five months later, and I still haven't finished its display case. Sad. :(

So, it's been hiding out in a plastic box, safe from weather and pests, all this time, only seeing the light of day about three or four times since I got it. But I'm going to get this done ASAP and show it off!

JimH

Quote from: deedubya3800 on October 25, 2010, 11:03:22 PM
I'm very happy to announce that this phone I won on the first of this month is now part of my collection! I'm still working on its display; I need to create a false bottom under which to tuck the cords, but that shall be a trivial matter.

It's an ivory 302, dated 3-23-42 on the shell

Wow!  What a beautiful EARLY colored 302!  I have an aunt (my mother's sister) that was born March 23, 1942.......perfect "Birthday Phone" for her!  Now that begs the question:  Who here has the oldest Birthday Phone?
Jim H.

Greg G.

Quote from: deedubya3800 on March 25, 2011, 03:56:09 PM
Wow, five months later, and I still haven't finished its display case. Sad. :(

Hehe, I have several "OMS" projects (Oh Maybe Someday).
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

deedubya3800

Although the pedestal is just a prototype, I'm happy to announce that I finally got this beauty into a display case that I can show people!

HarrySmith

Nice! Great looking phone. Is the case to protect it or just show it? Is the plastic UV resistamt?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

JorgeAmely

Harry:

I think it needs a little electric fence around it.
Jorge

deedubya3800

The case is primarily to keep moths and mice away from the cloth cords, and to keep dust away because this is such a dusty house. It also discourages playing with it. I haven't deemed an electric fence necessary yet, but I'll keep that in mind. I'll also consider infrared beams and an alarm. ;D

I have no clue as to the UV resistance of the plastic, but I keep a folded Sears bright orange bath towel draped over the top and sides of the case when I'm not showing it to keep the sunlight out (think yellow milk jug). Plus, there's not much direct sunlight in my office what with the blinds and trees and all anyway. The towel also keeps me from having to dust it so often.

I seriously don't deserve this telephone, but I'm not giving her up for anything! She's easily the second-most beautiful thing I've ever seen! :)

Doug Rose

Which begs the question, what is the most beautiful? Please check out my picture before answering....Doug
Kidphone