News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Friend's find.

Started by ....., December 03, 2017, 09:31:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I had a friend drop by and he was so happy with himself. He said that he found me a couple of telephone related items for $10.00. He thought that he found a real 8" porcelain bell system sign and a G. N. W. Tel. Co. phone insulator. I told him that the sign is a replica and that someone had drilled a hole in the center of the sign, but the good news is that the phone insulator is real. I will likely make a clock out of the sign, since it already has a hole in the center of it. It's nice to see a friend make an afford in finding things that they have no interest in. I'm happy with paying him the $10.00 price.

Fabius

Quote from: Duffy on December 03, 2017, 09:31:15 AM
a G. N. W. Tel. Co. phone insulator. 

I think GNW Tel is Great North Western Telegraph. Maybe even Canadian?

Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

This is a follow up on that 8" Bell System sign I recevied from a friend.

What to do with a reproduction 8" porcelain Bell System button sign that has a hole drilled in the center of it.

Make a clock.

Doug Rose

Doug... I have seen them before and I think that was whereit came from...a clock....nice job...I love it!....other Doug
Kidphone

Quote from: Doug Rose on December 04, 2017, 04:54:39 PM
Doug... I have seen them before and I think that was whereit came from...a clock....nice job...I love it!....other Doug

Thanks Doug.

I didn't realize that clocks had been made out of these 8" porcelain signs, but it make sense now that you said it.
I don't believe that this one was a clock though. It had a rough cut hole and not totally round and looks some what drilled.
I took my dermal and cleaned it up some so the clock motor would fit flush on the back.
I found a plant hanger that fit the size added the chain and hung the sign from it. Instant hanging clock sign.  :)

Doug Rose

Looks great....always wanted to get one of those.  Looks like it belongs in your collection....other Doug
Kidphone

19and41

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Ed Morris

Nice collection of phones and memorabilia.
Ed