News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Need Help Identifying AE80

Started by LarryInMichigan, August 30, 2009, 04:17:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

I bought a black AE80 desk phone today at a garage sale for $7.00, and I would appreciate help in identifying it and determining its age.  The shell and finger wheel are plastic, but the handset is bakelite.  There appears to be the code "N800 020" stamped on the bottom.  There is also a potentiometer on the bottom.  The images below show a few shots of the parts.  I am in the process of cleaning it (it was very dirty when I bought it).

Thank You

Larry

McHeath

Welcome Larry.  I'm not versed on AE80s but have several here who are.  This one is dirty but looks like it will clean up nice.  The AE80 is a slick looking phone.  Does it work?

Phonesrfun

Welcome Larry:

Early AE 80 from the late 50's or early 60's.  The pot is because AE started with their network version without automatic loop compensation, but had manual to be set by the installer.  Changing the setting will maybe make a difference at how people on the other end hear you but a very subtle difference at that.  You can adjust it all you want, but probably will not hear any difference at your end.  I have one of those early 80's with the bakelite handset.  They are heavier than all get-out.

-Bill G

LarryInMichigan

I cleaned it up somewhat, and it looks much better now, except that the surface of the handset is rough.  Also, there is a pinch in the rubber handset cord with some of the outer insulation missing.  The phone does seem to work well though.  I guess that it was worth $7.  BTW, the dial was made in Canada, if that means anything.

Thank you for your replies.

Larry

BDM

Hard to tell, but it looks like a standard 20/25 hz ringer. Not sure what the 800-020 means. The early AE80s are without a doubt, one of the best telephones AE produced. Not the prettiest, but easily an equal to the WE 500.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

JorgeAmely

Larry:

You can find more information about the codes printed on the bottom of your phone at this website:

http://www.paul-f.com/AEcolors.htm

Jorge