"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Automatic Electric Model 50 Observation

Started by Partyline4, February 24, 2018, 10:58:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Stettler

Quote from: AE_Collector on February 25, 2018, 10:55:07 AM
Ray summarized irs use a half dozen posts prior to this one.

....oh maybe you know it's use now but forget again when you find it! Happens to us all....

Terry
I have known it's use a half dozen times. When I find the tool again,I will probably remember it is a cool tool to own, I probably won't remember why.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

AE_Collector

Next time you find the tool park it on a AE35 or AE50 Plunger or in the receiver end of a type 38 handset. That will help you remember!

Terry

AE_Collector

Partyline4

Quote from: AE_Collector on February 25, 2018, 12:57:22 AM
AE had straight rubber cords...is that what It Is?

Were you missing just the plunger, not the nut? Did you find or cut down a plunger from an 80?

Terry

No, it's a cloth cord. I had the threaded portion, and Yes, I cut down a clear plastic plunger from an old 80 I had laying around.

AE_Collector

So you kept the wide base part of the AE 80 plunger, shortened it and then rounded the cut end? Good fix that will not fall out. I fixed a 50 in a very old house once where the plunger had been unscrewed and put together again with the plunger upside down. Thus it could be lifted right out and just stayed in place by gravity. And, it no longer worked the phone properly.

Terry

Partyline4

Quote from: AE_Collector on February 25, 2018, 12:41:22 PM
So you kept the wide base part of the AE 80 plunger, shortened it and then rounded the cut end? Good fix that will not fall out. I fixed a 50 in a very old house once where the plunger had been unscrewed and put together again with the plunger upside down. Thus it could be lifted right out and just stayed in place by gravity. And, it no longer worked the phone properly.

Terry

Yes, exactly. I put the little step end in a cordless drill, spun it up, and used a sanding wheel to make a perfect dome shape on the plastic cut off end. I used some light hair clipper oil on the plunger, and it cleared it up like glass! Works perfectly now.

Partyline4

As a little side note with these AE models, as I'm sure you all know you can hear them go off hook from ACROSS THE ROOM. I've been messing with the contact placements on phones that go POP when taken off the hook, and I've found if I just adjust one set to close shortly after another, the pop is removed. I know this is common place on WE and other models, but the AE early phones always have that POP! and it DRIVES ME NUTS!!!

AE_Collector

Yes, described perfectly...can hear it across the Room! Other solutions apparently is to add (is it?) a Varistor across the receiver capsule. Like they eventually did in newer AE receiver capsules. Interesting that you can adjust the hook contact timing to eliminate the pop. Maybe the contacts go out if adjustment with age?

Terry

Partyline4

Quote from: AE_Collector on February 25, 2018, 01:07:22 PM
Yes, described perfectly...can hear it across the Room! Other solutions apparently is to add (is it?) a Varistor across the receiver capsule. Like the eventually did in newer AE receiver capsules. Interesting that you can adjust the hook contact timing to eliminate the pop. Maybe the contacts go out if adjustment with age?

Terry

I've had 302's make that pop, and it was found out that they contacts were making contact the same time! Stretching one out a little fixed the issue, I've had to do it a lot lately as a matter of fact!

I used to have a few varistors, and did in fact use them to aid in pop reduction. I just love how the 302's made it where you didn't hear a single peep going on and off hook - quality engineering.

Russ Kirk

I have one of the repo tools. It works great.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Partyline4

Quote from: Russ Kirk on February 25, 2018, 11:46:45 PM
I have one of the repo tools. It works great.

I've got an AAS in CNC Machining, and I can tell you even on a manual machine, you'd have a few hours in making that one tool...Very nice.

Partyline4

I've discovered that little can be done other than a varistor to fix the pop on a 50. I adjusted the contacts two times, where one would close before the other, and it looks like one set of contacts purely dictates when the receiver is allowed voltage, resulting the in the POP....I guess that would be an easier place to put a varistor than in the handset....

Couldn't you just put a capacitor insted of a varistor? My mind tells me that the loud pop is the sitting 48vdc on the line, before the POTS service sends you the AC...A capacitor would block this DC, and then allow the AC to flow in....

kleenax

Quote from: AE_Collector on February 25, 2018, 10:34:19 AM
Both the Plunger and nut Ray... The set?

Great deal if so!

Robbie's Monophone Tool is the original, the reproductions didn't loook like this but they do the same job.

Terry

Yes, Terry; I didn't want to get rich, just provide we collectors with the necessary parts to put their phones together. As for the tool, yes the photo of Robbie's is an original design. Gary Goff & (I believe) John Infurna improved on the design with a "T" bar through the middle (instead of the knurled ring) for getting a better grip on hard-to-turn nuts.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

HarrySmith

I have one of the tools from Gary, it works great! I would urge anyone who is going to work on these phones to get one.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"