"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Apparatus Blanks

Started by unbeldi, August 27, 2016, 10:15:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

unbeldi

Can anyone identify this dial blank ?
I think it may be by Stromberg-Carlson,  1243 1244 124x?
or Leich ?

unbeldi

Or are these by Leich ?

rdelius

Leich have 2 tabs at 90 and 270 Deg, so do some Federal and poss some  Conn.SC a gromet? holds ahe card and window and no frame

WEBellSystemChristian

Just a guess...maybe the one in the first picture is for an ITT Cinderella? It has the same holes for the dial card tabs (top smaller, bottom larger) that WE and ITT shared.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

unbeldi

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on August 29, 2016, 12:05:26 AM
Just a guess...maybe the one in the first picture is for an ITT Cinderella? It has the same holes for the dial card tabs (top smaller, bottom larger) that WE and ITT shared.

Definitely high resemblance on the front... but a metal blank in a Cinderella?
I am thinking 1920s to 1940s.
Thanks.

jsowers

Here's the back of the Cinderella blank, just for posterity. The back piece is metal, but the front is plastic.
Jonathan

Ktownphoneco

Since Karl opened this topic, I thought I'd add this one to the discussion.     Initially, I couldn't find the pictures I'd taken, so I ended up having to convert them back to "jpeg" images from a "pdf" file.
It's the first Northern N1050-AL ( 50-AL ) apparatus blank that the company made to cover the dial opening for manual sets.    It's a legitimate apparatus blank, but not made for long, before the more standard Western Electric designed apparatus blank blank was used.      This blanking plate is a substantial piece of solid brass, making it fairly heavy.    If you happen to see a manual N.E. 50-Al with one of these blanks installed and it hasn't been tampered with, there's a good chance it's an older set.   It's comprised of the apparatus blank itself, a brass retainer strap and a brass machine screw which clamps the assembly in place.

Jeff Lamb

unbeldi

Thanks, any ideas about the two kinds I posted?

Ktownphoneco

No I don't.    My experience has been limited to Western and Northern apparatus blanks, with the later being the same as the former, in most cases.    I have purchased the "odd" other makes of telephones, but insofar as dial sets are concerned, they all had dials in place when I bought them.     The first photo you posted, looks like a Western, except there's no cut out for the tab incorporated into the retainer bracket, which pretty much rules out Western.

Jeff

paul-f

Quote from: unbeldi on August 29, 2016, 05:21:32 PM
Thanks, any ideas about the two kinds I posted?

Karl,

I agree with your guesses -- SC and Leich.

I've been busy for the last week and am headed out this evening.  I'll post some photos later.

Paul
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

unbeldi