News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

54 500

Started by AL_as_needed, April 13, 2016, 08:33:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unbeldi

In ca. 1981 friends of mine moved to Granby Colorado and I went to visit for a week of skiing at Winter Park.  When I got there, I recall that they had just got their telephone installed. They got a wall mounted phone, can't be sure of the model anymore, but it was on a party line, and I remember we looked at each other and joked about how backward this place still was.  I don't think it was a Bell company there.

I suspect that by 1960 still at least 50% of all telephones in the US were on party lines. I had the exact numbers at one time, but have to find it again to provide an accurate quote.

unbeldi

BSP 502-510-401 Issue 8, October 1968 still describes the 501C and D sets, without marking them Manufacture Discontinued.  What it does appear to mark as MD is the 425 electron tube, replacing it with the 426 for all applications.  I think there seems to be some inductive noise improvements in the 426 over the 425, but I have to look at the data sheets in detail to believe what the BSP seems to suggest.

poplar1

Some ITT practices show 500s for 4-pty. Selective superimposed ringing using diodes rather than tubes.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

andre_janew

Could it be that 1959 was the last year for the 426 tube and that in 1960 they started using diodes?

AL_as_needed

Well to partly answer the question of the tubes to chips conversation, I picked up a NOS 426A for the 501 and the box is dated 2-'73. Rather surprised, figured they would have ceased tube production by then in favor of a chipset. Doubt tubes were cheaper to make still by '73, although if western electric was making them in house that wouldn't be a big factor as they had the equipment well paid for by then.

Some eye candy....
TWinbrook7

oldguy

I remember party lines, that was back when the Silicon Valley was all plum & apricot orchards. I picked up this WE 501 for $20 + shipping. It seemed to be in good shape & a nice dial card.
Gary

RotarDad

At one point I was paying attention to dates on 501 models to see how late of a date I could find.  Here's one from July '61, tube still installed.  Oldguy, that is a nice one!  From what I've seen on Ebay, I'd say 90% of these are missing the tube.  Cool to find them all original....
Paul

AL_as_needed

It finally showed up today, only worked on the 501, leaving the 2500 for another time. I have to say the packing job was excellent. Some pre-work pics. All '54, no tube, but that was expected.
TWinbrook7

RotarDad

That should clean up nicely!  As you may already know, you will have to add some ringer gongs to make it ring - you've only got the aluminum resonators which mount under the brass bells.  Without bells, you'll get some clicking/tapping sounds and it won't be pretty..... ;)
Paul

andre_janew

Nick in Manitou may have the bells you need!

AL_as_needed

I have the gongs, took them off to evict a spider web before taking these pictures. It has been cleaning up well, may have to do some light wet sanding as the paint spots are on there real good. Also seems the case is warped. I have read of that before on here, any way to correct it? The base is straight but the case seems to lean to the right. Only noticeable around the dial.
TWinbrook7