News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 40, 47 & 50 Base Code Observations (2017!)

Started by RotoTech99, January 03, 2017, 12:13:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

Do you feel like opening it up and giving me everything you can find about it to add to my list? Is it as it was when you bought it? Being a very early model it may be good to add to my excel records.

Terry

Jrs1958

Just let me know what details you need.  I did post two pictures earlier of the insides but will gladly get you anything else for your records.  You all have graciously answered all my questions with my AE34 and this one, so I'm more than glad to assist.

RotoTech99

Dear AE Collector:

What do you think the model number would be for my converted AE 40 from the information I gave you on my set's part numbers and configuration? I realize the existing number probably wouldn't apply, but I'm curious what you think it would be.

Also, would black have a letter color code?

I apologize for the delay in providing that.

The discussion is getting good on this topic now, I like that.

Please let me know,
RotoTech99

Jrs1958

And yes, it is exactly as I bought it.  It was not an "EBay" purchase.  It was from a a long time owner.  I believe it is an unaltered original, not a "made up" phone.

AE_Collector

Yes pictures are quite hi res.
-Can't quite read what is stamped on back if dial S60C?
-Has AECO in diamond on back if dial Does it say Made in USA under that?
-The "D" number on the paper schematic
-Does it have a cloth covered black 3 conductor base cord?
-It likely would have the 24A36 dial that has quiet clicks as you wind it up. I am not certain how else to confirm the dial type.

Start with that and I will have some more ??'s soon.

Terry

RotoTech99

Dear jrs1958:

I like your AE40, It if you will excuse an expression is the Cat's Meow in my opinion, meaning I really like it.

My AE40 that I converted from LB to CB came from a friend nearly a year ago; it took time getting the parts for conversion, but now I have a  nice AE40 with chrome trim I'm pretty happy with.

If you'd like to see it, its posted in the topic.

RotoTech99

AE_Collector

Yes, looks very likely to be a very early unaltered AE40.

A couple more items to check:
Number on induction coil if you can see it. Virtually always D-282996-A. Is it stamped in oronge ink?
Any writing on the large condenser? If nothing else the value is frequently on the end by the terminals.
Transmitter and receiver capsule writing or post a picture of them.

I think that is everything.

Thanks.....Terry

AE_Collector

Quote from: RotoTech99 on January 08, 2017, 07:43:28 PM
Dear AE Collector:

What do you think the model number would be for my converted AE 40 from the information I gave you on my set's part numbers and configuration? I realize the existing number probably wouldn't apply, but I'm curious what you think it would be.

Also, would black have a letter color code?

I apologize for the delay in providing that.

The discussion is getting good on this topic now, I like that.

Please let me know,
RotoTech99

I don't think I have near enough info to even take a shot at what model your 40 would now be. I notice that as well as the "standard" 4123 models I have quite a few 4023 models listed. This makes me think that potentially the 4023/4123 sets are similar but with whatever made the 40/41 change, likely the ringer design as Jack said. So depending on which ringer type you have, and assuming a conventional dial it could be either of those. Of course we still have more codes to decipher and aren't sure if chrome trim shows up in the third code or in any if the codes. Still no idea about the first letter of the first code even.

Terry