News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

A question for you serious collectors...

Started by AL_as_needed, February 04, 2018, 01:04:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AL_as_needed

Christian, are those blinds I see mounted to the shelves? That area get a lot of sun and that's to protect the color sets?

...or are you hosting some sort of Guess That Phone game show on day-time TV?  ;D
TWinbrook7

jsowers

Christian, I recognize that Kellogg phone! It's mine. No problem with you using the picture. I feel honored. I call that color "screaming turquoise." One of my favorite colors. It goes well with your carpet, which reminds me of the old-fashioned indoor-outdoor carpet from the 1960s that was in a beach cottage we stayed in at Myrtle Beach. Vintage carpet can go well with vintage phones. My carpet is 33 years old, but not turquoise. Kind of a variegated honey color.

Attached is a shot of my makeshift 554 display showing my living room carpet. I do have an error in my display and I should make people guess it, but I won't. I put a straight gray handset cord on a dark blue 554 before I knew they didn't come that way. This picture is a few years old and I still haven't changed out the cord or added any phones to it. Also you can see I keep my aluminum blinds closed, trying to block all the UV I can. This is a southern exposure, so it gets sun, especially in the winter because of no leaves on the tree outside the window. Those odd pieces of wood on my window sills make the Christmas candles the correct height, so the lights aren't behind the window mullions.

As I said earlier, I wish I had a big wall where I could put cabinets, but I don't. My house is small by design, less than 2000 square feet. It has lots of windows on the outisde walls and doorways on the inside walls, so there are no long expanses of wall space to be had.
Jonathan

NikeTelephone

25+ years of collecting, dusting, always a fun job! and a few years ago I as well went the Ikea Route and got glass door Billys, best investment ever, and the display cases as well from various old stores in the area are also a great Dust Keeper a Way!! I too live on a Dirt road, with wood stove heating as well.. so yah lotsa of dust! :)
Barry
Phones, Who Knew! :)

twocvbloke

Here's a good tip, keep any pets away from phones once they're dosed with flea & tick drops, that stuff contains some nasty stuff, and when two of the three cats shook it off, that stuff left melted plastic marks in my laptop, and my NE2500.............  :o

AE_Collector

Quote from: NikeTelephone on February 07, 2018, 12:50:18 AM
and a few years ago I as well went the Ikea Route and got glass door Billys, best investment ever,

When I bought my Billy Bookcases I bought a few then a couple more and yet another one or two. I was just trying to figure what would fit and where. It was probably a year later when I started looking at glass doors for them. I procrastinated just long enough as they suddenly put them in clearance for about half price. A new version was coming they said. I guess you have the new version because yours do seem to have more glass and less frame than mine.

Nice collection!

Terry

AL_as_needed

Love the lighted display cases, they look great with the booth lit up in the man cave.

Ultimate solution would be some sort of covered case. If I had the space (and money) Id like to have some sort of cubby-shelves where each phone is in its own cube where they dont disappear into a crowd like my current set-up.
TWinbrook7

AL_as_needed

So I ended up going with a Swiffer Duster and it works very well. It does not get all the way below the finger wheel on some of my newer phones with  the clear plastic wheel as its closer to the dial face, but otherwise they are perfect. All I really do is lift the handset and Swiffer away!

Thanks guys  :D
TWinbrook7

FABphones

Stumbled across this thread whilst searching for something else. It needs renaming  :)  as it is hiding some seriously nice displays and phones - plus dusting info  ;D.   Prior to reading this thread I had never even heard of a Swiffer, or a Fluffy...  8)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

AL_as_needed

Yeah this became one of the several secret collection show and tell areas on the forum  ;D. I think I also had a thread on LED lighting that also became host to some fantastic pictures of collections and collection spaces.
TWinbrook7

Fabius

Forget about dusting. Dust enhances the antique look and helps protect the phones from UV radiation.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

AL_as_needed

Quote from: Fabius on December 30, 2018, 01:16:43 PM
Forget about dusting. Dust enhances the antique look and helps protect the phones from UV radiation.

Also an easy way to turn those plane-jane black 500s into prized oxford grey sets....
TWinbrook7

Doug Rose

I strongly disagree. I am always dusting the phone room. New windows have UV ptoection.

Nothing to me looks worse than a wonderful collection under an inch or more of dust. I have seen pics of well respected collectors collections that you cannot even tell if it's a color phone or what it is.

If you take the time to collect, show respect for your collection and keep them shining.

Would you have company in your Living Room with layers of dust on your furniture?

I am proud of my collection and treat it with pride and respect....Doug
Kidphone

Ktownphoneco

Quote from: Doug Rose on January 05, 2019, 05:43:39 PM
I strongly disagree. I am always dusting the phone room. New windows have UV ptoection.

Nothing to me looks worse than a wonderful collection under an inch or more of dust. I have seen pics of well respected collectors collections that you cannot even tell if it's a color phone or what it is.

If you take the time to collect, show respect for your collection and keep them shining.

Would you have company in your Living Room with layers of dust on your furniture?

I am proud of my collection and treat it with pride and respect....Doug

I agree with Doug, 100%.     

Jeff Lamb

Butch Harlow

Haha! I am not the most diligent duster either. Case in point...for Christmas my daughter and only kid wanted a digital SLR camera.  I spent 450.00 and got her a nice Nikon. The result was that she had to dust all my phones with a nice microfiber towel so she could take photographs of them. It was a win/win for me, the towel not so much. If you think keeping phones clean is trouble, try keeping several hundred Pez dispensers clean. That's a real task.
Butch Harlow

Fabius

I don't dusk because my religious beliefs prevent me from dusting. I am Orthodox Lazy.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905