News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Will rotary phones work on PBX?

Started by WesternElectricBen, December 17, 2012, 12:14:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WesternElectricBen

Can I use a rotary phone on a PBX? Also, how do I set up? I assume connect it to line running into house and connect the phone jacks to the station plugs? Thanks!
Ps. I have never installed/owned a phone system. Just own and restore telephone currently.

Owain

AE_Collector

A couple of the "switches" that I have will ONLY do dial pulse. They ignore Touch Tones like they weren't even happening when buttons are pushed! (They are Electro-Mechanical from an era way before touch tones)

Assuming you are referring to a Panasonic or at least any or most electronic PBX's they should do rotary or touch tone. Some early electronic PBX's needed Touch Tone Receiver cards in order to decipher tones while deciphering dial pulses is nothing more than the ability to count on's and off's. SO dial pulse is digital and Touch Tone is Analog if you want to get technical about it. Ironic :)  I think there is another thread discussing this.

Terry

Greg G.

Yes, and you can have fun with it too! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILUvbF62yB4

The PBX will convert the pulse to tone, so you can dial out and even navigate a phone tree using a rotary.  A basic setup would be to just run a line from a jack to one of the input ports, then plug in the phones to the extension jacks, but you would get a "cascading" phone ringing like in the video.  You probably had a more sophisticated setup in mind.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

George Knighton

Quote from: Brinybay on December 17, 2012, 11:25:34 AM
Yes, and you can have fun with it too! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILUvbF62yB4

The PBX will convert the pulse to tone, so you can dial out and even navigate a phone tree using a rotary.  A basic setup would be to just run a line from a jack to one of the input ports, then plug in the phones to the extension jacks, but you would get a "cascading" phone ringing like in the video.  You probably had a more sophisticated setup in mind.

Ha ha ha ha ha.....

Okay.  Maybe I am convinced that it is the thing to do.

Is the Panasonic 616 what everybody here favors, as David hinted?
Annoying new poster.

Owain

Quote from: George Knighton on December 17, 2012, 11:36:48 AM

An 824 has capacity for 8 more extensions ...

AE_Collector

308 = 3 CO lines and 8 Stations

616 = 6 CO lines and 16 Stations

824 = 8 CO lines and 24 Stations

Terry

twocvbloke

Owain

KX-TDE200 hybrid IP PBX control unit.
Maximum capacity: 192 ports.

Greg G.

Quote from: George Knighton on December 17, 2012, 11:36:48 AM
Quote from: Brinybay on December 17, 2012, 11:25:34 AM

The PBX will convert the pulse to tone, so you can dial out and even navigate a phone tree using a rotary.  A basic setup would be to just run a line from a jack to one of the input ports, then plug in the phones to the extension jacks, but you would get a "cascading" phone ringing like in the video.  You probably had a more sophisticated setup in mind.

Ha ha ha ha ha.....

Okay.  Maybe I am convinced that it is the thing to do.

Mine's a 308, 3 ports for incoming lines, 8 extension ports.  I don't have it set up to be any kind of sophisticated phone system.  I mostly use it to test the basic functionality of phones w/o having to dial my land line with my cell, plus it acts as a pulse-to-tone converter.  I'm sure in an actual office environment, it wasn't a "cascading" type of ringing on all the phones in the office every time an incoming call came in.  There's a way to program it using the proprietary phone (which I have), but I've haven't had the need yet.  Anita mentioned she would like the ability to call my desk phone from another part of the house.  In theory, that's not hard to do w/o any programming.  In reality, it's a lot of mapping out and running cords just to save a few steps, so right now I'm not real open to it, but I'm all ears to how these would be set up so that you didn't get the cascading ringing on incoming calls.

Here's one just like it on ebay: Panasonic 308. I can't remember what I paid for mine, so not sure if that's a good deal, I don't think I paid that much.  Here's another, a Panasonic 616.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Phonesrfun

I think Panasonic divided the whole pool of phones into three or four separate ringing segments.  You might try connecting one phone to extension 11, and one to 15, while disconnecting the rest.  See if those two ring at the same time.  I don't remember a programming feature for which ringing segment each extension is tied to.  It may be hardwired that way so people don't overload the ringing by having them all (8 in the case of the 308) ringing at the same time.  That would overload the ringing circuit.

I know its even more annpoying to answer a phone that is connected directly to the line and then have all the ones connected to the Panasonic keep ringing once or twice after you have answered the phone

-Bill G