News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Old Phone Works

Started by Babybearjs, March 04, 2011, 01:02:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

for anyone who is looking for some good vebndors, Mike brown with oldphoneworks.com is really a great vendor. He's gotten alot of my business and is a god send to refurbishing my AE and WE telephones. we need more people like him, especailly here in the US!    John
John

TallahasseeTom

My first experience with OPW was good, however, the last time Mike sent a defective bullet transmitter holder. Notified him about that, sent the defective holder back to him, wrote another email and he said he would send replacement item but he did not.  Follow up email received no reply. Will not buy from them again.

So, my OPW experience is not good which is unfortunate.

On the other hand, folks like Steve H. are excellent.

deedubya3800

I hate that that happened. I've bought from them twice before, and I have a third order on the way now. So far everything's been great and I haven't had any issues. Most of what I've bought, though, have been cords and non-functional parts like dial cards and such.

Babybearjs

It seems like he's getting over his head. I just got another order from him and everything was OK except for the line cord, they sent me a subset cord instead.... have to send it back and get it exchanged. and the chrome dial center is slightly off key. the top tab was cut a milimeter or two too short... it fits, but just barely! it may fail sooner then it normally would.  this part is always missing on the phones. now I know why! I sent him a email reminding him to tell his workers to put the right items in the right place.... a line cord and a subset cord look the same except for the restraints! (and the wire length) grabbing the wrong item makes for a frustrated customer...    John
John

DavePEI

Quote from: TallahasseeTom on July 05, 2011, 06:00:29 PM
My first experience with OPW was good, however, the last time Mike sent a defective bullet transmitter holder. Notified him about that, sent the defective holder back to him, wrote another email and he said he would send replacement item but he did not.  Follow up email received no reply. Will not buy from them again.

So, my OPW experience is not good which is unfortunate.

On the other hand, folks like Steve H. are excellent.

Write to Don Woodbury himself. He owns the company.
Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Babybearjs

I thought he sold it to mike brown.... don still runs OPW??
John

DavePEI

Quote from: Babybearjs on September 17, 2011, 09:17:48 PM
I thought he sold it to mike brown.... don still runs OPW??
Yep. Mike is an employee. I have known Don since school days in Brockville 45 some years ago. OPW is still his baby, confirmed tonight in an email from Don. If you need to get in touch with Don, email me and I will give you his Wirelessexpress address privately.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Babybearjs

thanks dave, I'm going to wait for now, I wrote maike about the problem and am waiting for a RGA from them. I glad to know that don still owns the company. I though he had sold it to mike and it was mikes business.     John
John

Babybearjs

they did it again! WOW! talk about GOOD Customer service! I ordered some parts and they threw in some extras! THANK YOU OPW! now, if there was a way for them to save on postage! my last order, they only needed to put the items in an envelope and drop it in the mail.... washers and nuts don't need to be put in a big box! shipping is getting to expensive! save yourself and the customer some money! I know times are tough...whew!
John

AE_Collector

Postage from Canada (and even within Canada) is considerably different than the USPS.

Things can go "first class" up to 500 grams (slightly heavier than the USPS limit of 13 ounces) BUT the package has to be thinner than 20 mm (2/3 of an inch) to go through letter slots. Any thicker than that and even if it is only an ounce or two it has to go Parcel Post and that starts at around $10.

And there is no media mail like the USPS has either. My daughter sold a text book via Amazon and it cost $14 to mail while the shipping allowance from Amazon was something like $5 or $6. Hours after she returned from the Post Office the order was cancelled by the "buyer" so my daughter had to send the "buyer" $14 to mail it back to her. There ought to be a law.....

Terry

Babybearjs

looks like the canadian goverment needs to make some changes to their postal system... but, so does ours! The thing that OPW needs to work on is QC and pricing... to replace a dial center it costs $7.95, to buy the fingerwheel its $9.95... to buy Both.....$15.00! OK, so we have a discount.... not much, but when its cheaper to replace the whole thing instead of just the part thats broken or missing.... they sell the whole "kit" and make more money on just the 1 part...  oh well, thats business!
John

AE_Collector

Quote from: Babybearjs on November 16, 2011, 01:38:43 AM
looks like the canadian goverment needs to make some changes to their postal system... but, so does ours!

Just a guess but I'll bet that the USPS will be looking more like Canada Post soon rather than the other way around. It sounds as though the USPS has to cut a lot of costs or make a lot more money and soon.

Terry