News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How to mount a WE Hotel phone on a backboard?

Started by Greg G., October 18, 2012, 02:41:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Does anybody who has a WE Hotel phone with a backboard have pictures of how it's mounted on the backboard, or describe the hardware needed?  In particular I'm wondering what they used to attach it to the backboard.  It looks like it would take 4 long bolt/nuts, or something similar.  On mine, there are two holes in the upper two corners on the back, and two slots in the lower two corners.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

G-Man

Quote from: Brinybay on October 18, 2012, 02:41:47 AM
Does anybody who has a WE Hotel phone with a backboard have pictures of how it's mounted on the backboard, or describe the hardware needed?  In particular I'm wondering what they used to attach it to the backboard.  It looks like it would take 4 long bolt/nuts, or something similar.  On mine, there are two holes in the upper two corners on the back, and two slots in the lower two corners.

Wood screws were used, specifically round-head, blued-steel screws. A search of the TCI library should turn-up a BSP describing the installation of your particular model. I have seen lots of them mounted on backboards in the field and never once seen bolts used but perhaps someone, somewhere did utilize them.

Though you didn't provide a model number the BSP in this link should tell you which backboard was used with your set:

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_details&gid=4638&Itemid=2

Greg G.

It's a 553-A.  I think I would rather come up with something kinder and gentler than just using wood screws.  An appropriate size machine screw and nut could be attached w/o much problem, would just need to drill some holes in the backboard and attach the nut from the inside.  I want it to sit flush against the wall, so I would need to figure out a way to make the screw head (or nut, depending on which way I decide to insert it) recessed on the wall side of the backboard.  I have a dremel tool here somewhere, that would probably work.

Update:  It pays to take a break and come back later and look at it.  Silly me was thinking the mounting screws went in through the back.  Wood screws through the front will work fine, just need to make sure they're not too long.  The backboard I'm using is designed for mounting plaques, so it's not as thick as the original.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e