News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

North Galion Phone

Started by migette, May 14, 2010, 11:07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

migette

Hi this is about the galion phone, during last sunday i visited the National Vintage Communications Fair held at Warwickshire exhibition centre near Birmingham UK, this caters for all things from old radios phonographs scientific instruments and of cause phones. I had been after one of these and missed some on eBay so imagine my surprise at finding a dealer who had one but not there at the time but back at his shop. I would take this chance to say his business Telephone Lines has a very wide variety of phones both British and US and was wondering if anyone else was at this show. Other dealers were in attendance with many interesting items, including a ivory Telegrafverket from Norway and the reverse number dial as used in Oslo  I will post pictures of both these and also the working parts which are perhaps the most interesting feature. Can someone help out the dial on the north phone does not fit the normal a/e or w/e type cant see any make on it maybe  its the North version it looks more simpler with a centre spring and a notched ring to give out the pulses I cannot see the governor any clues will send picture of that as well. The only problem with the galion was one of the ringer coils had gone open cct but carefully removing the insulating covering as so to put it back in tact if i could find the fault. After much care i was able to see (only just) the fine hair wire which had come away from the tag and was able to solder it back and a quick test with the meter confirmed 2500 ohms the other coil is just 500 ohms is there a reason for that? It rings perfectly now  with these two coils. It is so nice to get something going well theres no frying noise cords ok and co sidering the parts are around my age 65 they are not doing bad

paul-f

Here's a photo of the back of the North dial occasionally found in these sets, with the appropriate adapter. 

It's more common to find an AE or WE dial.  To get them to fit properly, there is a C-shaped spacer with three holes for the mounting screws that fits in the bottom of the dial hole in the housing.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

migette

Thanks Paul your photo confirms what I thought my dial is identical to your picture  dated 3-54 will get a picture soon   thanks again  Peter