News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

ebay 5302

Started by Greg G., December 03, 2015, 03:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Not sure why I bought this, I already had 4 other 5302s like it, but this one is in better shape and $26 including shipping, and I needed a fix for my phoneitis.  Seller packed it well using my instructions on not putting the handset on the cradle.  Mixed dates with a base date of 11-48.  Came from and was used in the eastern part of my state (Washington) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colfax,_Washington.  Fully functions.  The dial was a bit sticky at first, but after a few spins it loosened up, but I probably should still give it a little oil.  Nice vintage exchange-style dial card.  The dial card looked at first like it had gotten wet and was a little moldy, but it was just crud stuck to sticker residue on the cellophane cover, cleaned off well.  That's pretty much all I've done to it so far.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

more pics.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

The dial card.
- Mike Row
e

cihensley@aol.com

Very Nice Brinybay.

Chuck

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Buzby

Sweet looking phone.....

......must resist the urge to log on to Ebay......

unbeldi

It looks to be a very nice example with its original cords that were installed when this telephone was assembled in 1960.  The housing was stamped just before Christmas 1959 (12 19 59), and the dial was lubricated also in 59, which is also likely the time it was converted from a 5H to a 5M.

When the phone was converted, Colfax was already in the 509 area code, which was split from 206 at the started of 1957, but didn't have DDD service yet, as the number card tells.  397 (EX7) was, and still is, the only central office code in Colfax, today serviced by CenturyLink with a Northern Telecom DMS-10 switch, which was formerly operated by Qwest.

The NT DMS-10 was the first central office switch in the Digital Multiplex Switch (DMS) series, and first build ca. 1977.  The DMS-1 was essentially a remote concentrator.

oldguy

Very nice unit, very clean inside. congrats, hard to pass that one up. I was following one that ended today, it looked corroded inside, so I let it go.
Gary

Greg G.

Quote from: oldguy on December 03, 2015, 06:00:53 PM
Very nice unit, very clean inside. congrats, hard to pass that one up. I was following one that ended today, it looked corroded inside, so I let it go.

I'm assuming the cost with shipping wasn't worth it, but if you find a local one for cheap, they're worth snatching up.  If nothing else, the base can be used for a subset.  In fact, I think one of my other four 5302s was converted to a subset and paired it with a 202 for a gift.  I'm not sure, now I'll have to physically look for it.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3039.0
- Mike Row
e

Dan/Panther

302, 5302, 500, what a great trio.
5302, almost best of both, but the 500 wins by a hair.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Babybearjs

I got one on ebay too.... had to change out the receiver cord... unit works great!
John

Greg G.

Quote from: unbeldi on December 03, 2015, 04:58:57 PM
It looks to be a very nice example with its original cords that were installed when this telephone was assembled in 1960.  The housing was stamped just before Christmas 1959 (12 19 59), and the dial was lubricated also in 59, which is also likely the time it was converted from a 5H to a 5M.

When the phone was converted, Colfax was already in the 509 area code, which was split from 206 at the started of 1957, but didn't have DDD service yet, as the number card tells.  397 (EX7) was, and still is, the only central office code in Colfax, today serviced by CenturyLink with a Northern Telecom DMS-10 switch, which was formerly operated by Qwest.

The NT DMS-10 was the first central office switch in the Digital Multiplex Switch (DMS) series, and first build ca. 1977.  The DMS-1 was essentially a remote concentrator.

Good info, thanks!  Amazing that Western Electric even stamped dates for when it was last lubed!  What's the difference between a 5H and a 5M dial?
- Mike Row
e

unbeldi

Quote from: Brinybay on December 05, 2015, 10:11:41 AM
Quote from: unbeldi on December 03, 2015, 04:58:57 PM

Good info, thanks!  Amazing that Western Electric even stamped dates for when it was last lubed!  What's the difference between a 5H and a 5M dial?

Lubrication of dial was one of the periodic maintenance chores that needed to be tracked presumably because over-lubricating could lead to reduced lifetime from accumulation of microscopic particles. The level of detail in refurbishing sure is somewhat amazing today, when old parts are simply thrown away.

The 5M dial was created specifically for the 5300 and 5400 telephones.  The only difference in the dial unit itself from the 5H is the replacement of the white-backed number face plate (150 or 164A) with the black 164C-3 with white dots in the center of the finger holes, rather than numbers/letters. For display of the numbers and letters, the dial is mounted in the added bezel, which is essentially similar to the dial bezel of the 500-sets.

The 5302 could also be equipped with a similarly modified 6A dial, which was recoded as 6H.

Greg G.

My humble apologies, I'm usually careful to check numbers on old phones to see if they're active before posting the pics online, and if they are, blur them out.  I neglected to do that in this case.  I just now checked this one and discovered it was an active number, so I reposted the pics with only the City and Exchange readable.
- Mike Row
e