News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

202 Phone subset requirements and options questions

Started by OldPhoneUser, March 14, 2018, 02:15:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldPhoneUser

hey all, first post here now that Dennis was kind enough to activate me...

I have a "202" phone on the way for the bedroom (use a 302 in the living room).  This site taught me that it needs a "subset" and one post said in order not to get damaged. I'd like to know more about that, is it true?

Anyway...  I've seen mention of "mini network" and those are available for $25. I also see a 101A transformer for about $10.

I do happen to have a 584DE ring only box (no transformer or condenser (capacitor) in it that was in my family since new. But it's kind of big and I think the bells are probably too loud for next to the bed.

Ideally, I'd like to use the single ringer bell and the 101A transformer if that will make the phone happy. Just not sure if I got this right, (or how to wire it, I know there are many diagrams here just need the right one)

Found this single ringer bell:  http://www.oldphoneshop.com/products/brass-bell-mini-ringer-for-all-telephones.html

And also this 101A transformer: http://oldphoneworks.com/101a-coil.html

And this modern "network":  http://www.oldphoneshop.com/products/mini-network-with-diagram.html

And finally this capacitor: http://www.oldphoneshop.com/products/ringing-capacitor-for-ringers.html

I am sure all these answers are already on here and I have searched but being new to this, I dont want to pick out the wrong info and ruin something!   :o

Thank You

Welcome to CRPF OldPhoneUser,

Nice 202, I sure you will find lots of useful information here. This friendly bunch are always willing to help.

Zunazet

First we will need to know what is inside. Dial wiring etc. Best to take a picture or two for us so we all know what we're talking about. Or second thought just check out this thread and see if it clears it all up...
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=784.0

The bell will be optional.
The network / transformer / coil will protect the low voltage parts from the high voltage ring signal.

As far as the actual wiring goes I'm not an expert, but I'll share what I can.

Mini Networks are available here: http://www.oldphoneshop.com/products/mini-network-with-diagram.html

It would fit inside your phone without a bell.

dsk

It may be pretty many solutions to this, everything depending on whats your demand.  I have one at my bedroom with a diy subset, just because shipping is to expensive.
The simplest solution is a resistor and a capacitor, next replace the resistor with a coil, next anti sidetone circuit made from about any old telephone you might have..... to the original subset.

dsk

OldPhoneUser

Ok new problem, or possibly related. I got two phones today and they have an interesting problem with misdialling numbers through the XLink gateway. the 500 and 302 phones work fine and always dial out correctly.

but the 202 and another set I got "space saver" wall phone both mis-dial, either wrong or missing numbers every time. I do not have any kind of a subset. the person I got them from said the 202 had a newer handset that didnt require a subset, not sure about the space saver.

also, as soon as I start to turn the dial on the 202, it makes a loud click in the earpiece.

anyway, I am wondering if the lack of subset would interfere with dialing or is a subset just to protect the handset coils?

Zunazet

Subset won't effect dialing.
Dialing is just shorting and un- shorting the line in a very precise way.

OldPhoneUser

well this is interesting because I have two phones that dial perfect, and two that miss digits or get them wrong every time.

the person i got the phones from is a collector and the two I got today he said worked fine on his home system.

I will keep exploring the possibilities...

OldPhoneUser

found this page in the XLink settings, may be able to try some things here

OldPhoneUser

and... BINGO!  only tried one time on the 202, BUT changing to "allow out of spec pulse dialing" changed the timings and it dialed correctly...  maybe this will help somebody in the future...

yay

Zunazet

Very nice. Never would have guessed it would offer that kind of option.

OldPhoneUser

So, is the subset transformer etc required in order to protect the handset from ring voltage or anything like that? Thought I saw that someplace...

still trying to sort this all out and get an understanding about it.  with no network/subset the 202 dials out, and sounds fine. but I dont want to allow any damage if the subset does some kind of protection function...

any insight will be helpful!   :)

rdelius

The subset  with a network or ind coil or the cheater circuit prevents DC from flowing through the rec  capsule causing a pop or degradation of the magnet

OldPhoneUser

what is this "cheater circuit"?  and is this modern "mini network" any better or worse than getting a 101A coil and I think a condenser (capacitor) and replicating the subset circuit that way?

dsk

Quote from: OldPhoneUser on March 15, 2018, 02:37:04 AM
what is this "cheater circuit"?  and is this modern "mini network" any better or worse than getting a 101A coil and I think a condenser (capacitor) and replicating the subset circuit that way?

The "cheater circuit" in its simplest form is a capacitor in series with the transmitter to protect it against DC and a resistor across the capacitor and receiver to let some DC pass for transmitter and off hook detection. It may work OK, replace the transmitter with a coil blocking more voice frequencies and still let dc pass and it is equal to one of the original Kellogg circuits.  A anti sidetone coil (3 windings) (and capacitor) from an old phone makes it excellent, a mini network has more protection against pops in the receiver, and has automatic adjustments to loop length.

dsk

dsk

Regarding dial problems, a sound file recording of several zeros may be enough to analyze the problem. Just connect the phone with no battery to your pc and record it

dsk