News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Stromberg Carlson SC1211 (almost)

Started by LarryInMichigan, November 15, 2010, 12:16:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

Last week, I found this SC intercom on ebay as a BIN: (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370455147957).  I have been wanting an SC1211, and I figured that this might be about as close as I could get within my budget, so I bought it and picked it up from the seller a few hours later.  He is about 20 minutes from here.  The handset was cracked, and I told the seller that I was a bit disappointed about it.  He apologized and told me that he had not noticed the crack and offered me my money back, but we settled on a $10 refund.  I glued the crack closed and polished everything, and it looks pretty good.  The bakelite on the base is in very good condition.  The handset is a bit scuffed on the side.  I strongly suspect that someone dropped it onto a concrete surface. 

The number on the back of the base is "6347-08".  The base contains a large terminal board and a DC ringer and looks just like one in the earlier thread (http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3209.msg42688).  The dial housing at the top of the base contains a round plate with eight push buttons, but it will fit a standard 3" dial.  It would be nice to find genuine SC1211 guts and an SC dial to make this into real SC1211 phone, but I think that a WE 425B network will fit, and I have a couple of spares.  I also have a spare WE #5 dial, so I might use that.

Larry

HarrySmith

Very Cool! I like the looks of those. If you put out a request on the lists I am sure someone will have the correct parts for you!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

Larry....very nice indeed. Very nice price!! I don't think it would take much to get dial on it and make it work. I'd rather the handset cracked than the shell of the phone. I know I have a handset around and I have a metal 1243  some place as well that you could use for parts to rebuild.....Doug
Kidphone

rdelius

A SC dial might not fit as well as an AE. Earlier SC telephones did not have SC dials.I believe the change started with the SC 1222,right before the war. The earlier SC dial usually had nickel plating on the edge and short leads that terminated on the plastic cover.Robby

LarryInMichigan

LarryInMichigan

I finally turned this into a working phone.  I added an SC dial from an SC1243 and a better SC handset and attached a WE network to the base.  It is relieving the AE50 from kitchen duty for the present.  It looks great, but knowing that it's a fake under the covers is a bit disappointing.

Larry