"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Here's the German Phone, just got it

Started by mienaichizu, December 24, 2008, 02:00:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mienaichizu

Hi guys,

here's the phone I was talking about on my previous post, unfortunately it is not red. I already started cleaning and testing it but there seems to be a problem. It is working but again, my problem with my other phones, dial tone can't be cut. It can receive calls, it rings but can't dial a number. What can you say guys? Anyone has any experience in refurbishing this kind of phone? can anyone help me?

Dan

Wow, nice ivory bakelite. I would have no idae where to start to wire this puppy up.
If you get it going, please let us know!
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

McHeath

Very interesting phone!  I can't help you figure it out much as I don't even know what it is.   :-\

Of course there is the old "plug and play" method, just start moving wires around and see what happens.  Not exactly an elegant solution, and probably playing with fire, but so far I've managed to not melt anything doing this with a few of my oddly wired up phones. 

HobieSport

Ramil, is that a Siemens and Halske?  Oh and Merry Christmas by the way.  I enjoyed your blog, too.  -Matt

Dan/Panther

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

mienaichizu

Quote from: McHeath on December 24, 2008, 02:28:54 PM
Very interesting phone!  I can't help you figure it out much as I don't even know what it is.   :-\

Of course there is the old "plug and play" method, just start moving wires around and see what happens.  Not exactly an elegant solution, and probably playing with fire, but so far I've managed to not melt anything doing this with a few of my oddly wired up phones. 

I tried to plug it, I got a tone, it rings and can recieve calls but it can't cut the dial tone, I'm still in the process of making this baby work, will keep you posted as soon I got this thing works

mienaichizu

Quote from: HobieSport on December 24, 2008, 03:01:39 PM
Ramil, is that a Siemens and Halske?  Oh and Merry Christmas by the way.  I enjoyed your blog, too.  -Matt

yep, that's the Siemens and Halske telephone that I was talking about my previous post.

Thanks Matt and Merry Christmas too

GG

I've got a couple of those around.  We used to refer to them as "the longitudinal handset Siemens."  I've also got a bad xerox copy of a Siemens technical journal article on them.   Siemens also made a conventional housing (similar to but NOT the same as the German 611 type housing) for the same chassis as used in the longitudinal handset model. 

About the dialing problem:  Most of the German dials (Siemens, DFG, and some Eastern European versions) use a three-bladed interruptor cam that comes between the impulse contacts.   Look closely to see that the contacts are breaking properly when the cam operates.  If they are, then your trouble is in the wiring, and may be just a matter of hooking up the line cord to different terminals. 

Another trouble source for all rotary phones is VOIP-based phone services (someone around here said Comcast is guilty of this) that don't accept pulse dialing.  The way to tell is, tap the hookswitch briefly to simulate dial pulse digit 1, and see if that breaks dial tone.  If it doesn't, and you have IP carrier, that's your problem, in which case a pulse-to-tone converter (Mike Sandman) or a Panasonic hybrid PBX (I have a few to spare, also widely available on Ebay) will do the trick.