News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1937 WE 302

Started by Butch Harlow, March 10, 2018, 06:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Butch Harlow

I live in central VA, an area that seems to be "antiqued out" as far as finding good deals on phones or for that matter any quantity of phones. Usually I find junk at inflated prices. I am sure many of you have similar problems. I find that the farther from town I go, the greater the likelihood of finding interesting items at decent prices becomes. Not today, however. Today's deal was right under my nose at an antique place I go frequently. There is one booth there that is primarily telephones. Some of them are kind of pricey, sometimes I find a real deal. Today I saw it up high on a top shelf and decided to pull it down for a look see. It was a pretty rough, but complete 1937 302 with all original, date matched parts. it had an E1 handset, 5H dial with 149A celluloid, rural number dial plate, and 4 undamaged leather feet. I happened to leave home with my trusty 6-1 screwdriver so I took it to the front desk and asked if I could open it before buying. They said yes and in I went. All matching dates inside and in the handset. It's got the little plungers, short ears and the vented hand hole. It was marked 85.00, which seemed in line considering what I have seen around lately. I know I am going to have to do some work to get this phone perfect, but as it sat it worked. I will have to go through the dial and get it properly lubed and adjusted. I will need some parts for the handset, and the celluloid dial plate is in bad shape. Thankfully this time I made myself a wiring drawing so I don't have to beg you guys to help me rewire it. I love a project, that's why I collect phones to begin with. As long as I don't go bankrupt in the process, it's all in good fun. This should turn out to be a real beauty when I am done. Don't laugh at my grade school drawing skills, it works, haha!
Butch Harlow

Gary Z

Very nice find Butch. Every collector should have one of these.
Gary Z

Pourme

When you find a original non molested phone in the wild it is a good day (no shipping). Finding a early 302 is a bonus, with a E1 handset is even better. Plus I see you were able to dis assemble the transmitter and receiver. I have several I haven't been able to dis assemble yet!

Today was a good day for you Butch!

Enjoy your new phone!

Benny
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

WEBellSystemChristian

Wow, I have five '37s, and yours looks nicer and is more complete than any of mine! ;)

What is the handset date? Remove the receiver cap (if it hasn't shrunk too tightly), remove the diaphram, and look for a green ink stamp. If it matches the rest of the phone, you have a very early, rare, and valuable '37!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Butch Harlow

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on March 10, 2018, 08:18:59 PM
Wow, I have five '37s, and yours looks nicer and is more complete than any of mine! ;)

What is the handset date? Remove the receiver cap (if it hasn't shrunk too tightly), remove the diaphram, and look for a green ink stamp. If it matches the rest of the phone, you have a very early, rare, and valuable '37!

I didn't find anything stamped on the handset itself that was a date, however the receiver is dated I 37 and the transmitter is dated II 37. In fact, the receiver is the only part not dated II 37. It's truly a lucky day for me. I am going to do a super careful and thoughtful restoration.
Butch Harlow

Pourme

You say your area was "antiqued out" and I feel that way around here when it comes to phone stuff as well. A find like that gives us all hope that there are still phones out there waiting for us to find them. I love seeing these stories reported on the forum. It gives me encouragement to keep going out looking.
Benny

Butch Harlow

Exactly, Benny. I go to the same places once every month or so. Sometimes it's like nobody has been there since my last visit. I give the attendants my name and number I even joke about writing it on the bathroom walls. Nobody ever calls. I venture farther and farther from home to find new places to root through. I was at this place two weeks ago and didn't see this phone, but got a nice No. 52 switchboard headset. It was a surprise, but a good one to find so close to home. It pays to be repetitive and habitual sometimes.
Butch Harlow

Doug Rose

Wonderful find Butch. How much did this beauty cost you?.....Doug
Kidphone

Butch Harlow

Quote from: Doug Rose on March 10, 2018, 10:38:06 PM
Wonderful find Butch. How much did this beauty cost you?.....Doug

85.00. I was so excited about it, I forgot to haggle.
Butch Harlow

WEBellSystemChristian

I would [very seriously] consider keeping every single dated component together. Whether or not the dial plate is in good shape, keep it with the phone.

Here is the last '37 302 found with an original E1...it sold for $437 on eBay. Even among '37s, your phone is very hard to find, not to mention extremely desirable. Please be careful restoring it. ;)

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=13423

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=13433
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Wayback Mike

Nice!  And I think your diagram may be easier to actually read an use than some of the official ones I've seen.  ;-)
Any diagram that gets the job done is a good diagram.
   Mike

Doug Rose

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on March 10, 2018, 11:17:59 PM
I would [very seriously] consider keeping every single dated component together. Whether or not the dial plate is in good shape, keep it with the phone.

Here is the last '37 302 found with an original E1...it sold for $437 on eBay. Even among '37s, your phone is very hard to find, not to mention extremely desirable. Please be careful restoring it. ;)

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=13423

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=13433
I agree 100%. I have kept phones all original even if  could not get it to work without a replacement part. Not all phones are for daily use, some are just that wonderful collectable that sits on a shelf or a table, This is one of those in my humble opinion. Great Phone....Great Price!!!

NEVER forget to bargain 8) "what's the best you can do on this?" Then come back with and offer, the table has been set!  ;D ....Doug
Kidphone

Jim Stettler

Nice phone. You should submit it for "find of the Month>
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Butch Harlow

I think, as far as restoration goes, I am going to source an original spitcup and receiver cap for the handset. The celluloid dial plate is pretty rough, but it's date matched and all the pieces are pretty much intact. I may possibly try to reglue the peeling pieces, if anyone has guidance on that lmk. The body paint is rough, but only chipped in the obvious switchhook area. I will try polishing it to my satisfaction, but barring success there I am quite skilled in refinish painting. I am definitely being super-duper careful here. I am very happy to have found this phone and it is my project of the year thus far. Thanks for all the advice and tips.
Butch Harlow

Pourme

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on March 10, 2018, 11:17:59 PM

Even among '37s, your phone is very hard to find, not to mention extremely desirable. Please be careful restoring it. ;)

That is true, Christian....I am sitting here desiring that phone right now!

Benny
Benny