News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Type 80 or is it a 500 - ringer not working

Started by Neoheurist, November 13, 2011, 09:12:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neoheurist

I purchased this phone on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230693723136

The box it came it was for a Type 80 Automatic Electric / GTE telephone - in the box were schematics for the type 80

The phone itself is marked as ITT - according to Dennis the phone is not a Type 80 - and most likely is a 500

I installed the phone today - I can make and recieve calls on the phone, but the phone does not ring - I opened the phone and gave my home phone a call - the clapper weakly fluttered - but did not swing far enough to strike either bell - I played with the volume control to no effect...

Attached are the schematics for the Type 80 (probably not relevant)

Also attached is a picture of the innards of the phone.

Thanks for reading my issue.

LarryInMichigan

Your phone has a frequency ringer.  it was design to ring only when the ringing voltage is a specific frequency.  It may be possibly to modify it to work on a normal phone line, but the easiest solution is to replace it.  A replacement ringer should be easy to find.  Some forum members may have spares.

Larry

Adam

Definitely a 500.  Isn't it marked on the underside?  It's an ITT set, it should have a number like:

50047(A1)30M

The number means:

500 - 500 set
47 - 2 digit color code (47 is ITT cherry red)
(xx) - the ringer code - (A1 is an example of a frequency ringer, if yours had a standard ringer the code there would be BA)
30 - no special feature
M - Metropolitan Dial (numbers and letters) (as opposed to N for numerals only)
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

Neoheurist

Model number stamped on the bottom.

50047 LR30M 677

Adam

Ah.  I guessed almost exactly!

Your ringer code is LR, which is "Less Ringer", which means it came from ITT with no ringer in it, and the telephone company that installed it added the frequency selective ringer.

Also, 677 means 6/77, the date of manufacture.

By the way, I *love* ITT Cherry Red 47!  It's brighter red than original ITT Red 02, which was the same color as Western Electric Red 53.

Enjoy your phone!
Adam Forrest
C*Net 1-383-4820

Adam

By the way, if you can't find an appropriate ringer on eBay, there is currently a seller on Etsy offering 2 new in the box ITT straight line ringers for $7.00 plus $6.95 shipping.  I think that's a good deal.

http://tinyurl.com/7z49x5l
Adam Forrest
C*Net 1-383-4820

Neoheurist

Thanks for the link - I placed my order - looking forward to installing these!

Thanks

GG

Though, don't throw out that pesky frequency ringer.  Save all parts, one never knows when they may be useful for something, or could be modified to make them so.  If nothing else, it contains a coil and a couple of gongs that can be reused elsewhere if needed.