News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 302 red manual set

Started by Waterland, January 08, 2015, 06:20:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

I still stand by what I said; this phone looks brand new. The only light scratches on it that I see are from being stored in a box, and I don't see any of the usual wear marks that I see on well-used 302s.

Definitely worth the money!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

unbeldi

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on January 16, 2015, 12:32:18 PM
I still stand by what I said; this phone is probably new. The only light scratches on it that I see are from being stored in a box, and I don't see any of the usual wear marks that I see on well-used 302s.

I disagree, there are usage marks all over the front, very typical. They are clearly visible. The handset and esp. the caps do not have the sheen of a new or polished part either. The set in good shape though, no doubt.

The few manual red 302s that have been on eBay in recent years have not sold much or any higher than the dial versions.

Doug Rose

Manual thermoplastic color dial blanks tend to bend, bend to the point that they look like wings on the set. The bend is usually top to bottom and not side to side. The wonders of shrinkage.

I don't remember seeing any color manual sets that were not ivory in a long time on eBay, but then again memory is not my strongest asset now a days.

That being said, if a color red dial goes for $700++ in real nice shape, I figured this to go higher. It might not have been NOS out of the box, but I will venture to say, not one of us wouldn't be showing this off as find of the year if we had discovered it as this seller must have thought at auction end. I hope seller realizes this is one in a lifetime find and doesn't blow his/her profits on any old phone they now find.

There is no right or wrong conclusion, but this is one fine set. I wish I could have justified spending the money.  I could not....Doug
Kidphone