News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Flea Market 233G Payphone

Started by LarryInMichigan, December 02, 2012, 10:29:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

I picked up this 233G payphone this morning at the flea market.  The seller wanted $125, but I bargained a bit and got it for $97.  The date on the back is II 64.  It certainly wasn't the deal of the year, but I expect (hope) that it is worth somewhat more than that.  It appears to have nearly all of the parts including the coin chute and vault.  All of the locks have been removed.  The vault cover is firmly stuck in place.  Is there a trick to removing it, or is mine just rusted in place?  It sounds like there is a coin or two inside. 

It looks like someone had modified this phone for their own use. There is a 101A induction coil attached inside and a standard black line cord coming out of the back.

The handset caps are glued.  Is there a way to dissolve the glue and remove the caps without destroying the handset?

I have no intention of keeping this, but I would like to know what I am doing before I list it.

Larry

LarryInMichigan

After some struggling, I managed to remove the coin door.  There is no coin vault, but there is a B1AL ringer mounted inside, and there was a loose nickel (dated 1979).

Larry

AE_Collector

With the lower lock missing there is nothing to keep the vault door in place. Had they used silicone or something to glue it in place?

Good deal I would say.

Terry

LarryInMichigan

There is a 'L' bracket mounted in the coin area, and there was a screw going through the key hole and screwing into the bracket.

Larry

poplar1

This is one of the phones supposed to go to scrap but rescued by a company (Long Island Telephone Company possibly) that rewired them and sold them retail without locks. This model originally did not have the 101A induction coil but rather a separate 685A subset. The locks for the vault door are easy to find because you can use a 30C lock from a single slot pay phone.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

LarryInMichigan

I connected the line cord to my phone line, but the phone did not work.  Do you think that the phone would be worth much ore if I make it work with the induction, condenser, and ringer that have been installed in it?  I would prefer to unload it as soon as possible.  I have too many other things to do.

Larry

poplar1

Larry, if you are selling to the public, they would probably want it working and the two holes in the upper housing covered up. If you are selling it to a collector, it may not matter that it doesn't work. You might want to sell the vault door separately.

Are you pushing the upper housing to make sure the transfer contacts are making? This reseller apparently had a screw and washers to keep the UH closed.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: poplar1 on December 02, 2012, 07:27:56 PM
housing to make sure the transfer contacts are making? This reseller apparently had a screw and washers to keep the UH closed.

That was it!  The contacts were dirty, so I gave them a brushing with the rotary tool, pushed the upper housing tightly onto the phone, and it worked.  I also found a nice number card backwards in the dial center.  About all I want to do now is to replace the line cord with a modular one, take some good pictures, and list it.  Now, if I can sell it for more than I paid, that would be nice.

Thank You

Larry

kleenax

Larry;  just like David said: if you list the vault door seperately, you will do a lot better. Black WE vault doors are desirable and should do ok even without a lock.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: kleenax on December 02, 2012, 09:12:02 PM
Larry;  just like David said: if you list the vault door seperately, you will do a lot better. Black WE vault doors are desirable and should do ok even without a lock.

If I list the phone without the vault door, it won't be entirely "plug-and-play" because there will be an obvious open space at the bottom.  Can I get a cheap cover for the the vault opening somewhere?

Larry

LarryInMichigan

How much is the vault door worth?

Larry

LarryInMichigan

The phone is listed on ebay (link) now, including the vault door.  I want it out of my house.

Larry

kleenax

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on December 09, 2012, 09:09:47 PM
The phone is listed on ebay (link) now, including the vault door.  I want it out of my house.

Larry
Now Larry, if you REALLY wanted it out of your house, you would have started it with a realistic starting bid. Even if you would have started it at $9.99 with no reserve, you would most certainly have doubled your money.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

LarryInMichigan

Do you really think that the starting bid is too high?  I am nervous about low starting bids.  I have bought things from other sellers for $.99 or $1.99, and I really don't want to be on the other end of such a deal.  I already have $100 in the phone.

Larry

kleenax

Eh, it's kind of a gamble, but not really.

You just get a LOT more interest (and looks) with a low starting bid. I didn't figure you had that much into it. Would probably sell for around $120 - $130 or so in it's present condition. I thought you only had about $65 into it.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC