News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

A.E. Dial Center Ring question

Started by wds, July 17, 2017, 07:17:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

I picked up some of these dial center rings thinking they would fit my AE #24 dials.  Although they do fit, the chrome ring is missing the tab on the back that would get locked on the dial.  Instead it has this brass center part that seems to lock down on something.  Does anyone know what kind of dial this would fit on?
Dave

stub

wds,
      Dial is Type 52 . These are on the AE 90 and some 182's and here's what else you need . Hope this helps.  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

poplar1

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

wds

ok, thanks.
Dave

wds

Any idea what this ring fits?  Same size ring as the other one.
Dave

monophone_lover

IT looks Like The Ting Thai goes in The galion type phones
Rob
ATCA # 4057

monophone_lover

My keyboard is acting UP

I Think IT goes in a dial blank For Northern phones
Rob
ATCA # 4057

Ktownphoneco

Northern Electric apparatus blanks are exactly the same as Western apparatus blanks, and they take a standard number card assembly.     It looks like an after market type of ring to hold an combination advertisement and telephone number card which would clip right over an existing telco number card holder.

Jeff Lamb

Doug Rose

I think they are SC dial blank retainers...Doug
Kidphone

rdelius

I say Kellogg ,After  the earlier one with a rivet in the center  SC uasually had the warped plastic window with the tabs broken off.before was a window with a rivet though it

AE_Collector

Back to the original post, that ring is associated with the first style of clear AE fingerwheels developed for early coloured AE 80/90 type phones. The common denominator is that the ring is always chrome and fingerwheel always clear plastic. Black AE80/90's continued to have black painted fingerwheels with the same number card ring as previous 40/50 phones during this time frame. Rings are not interchangeable between the two types.

Below are the four types of AE fingerwheels in order covering from the introduction of the type 24 Dial (1924) onwards until AE ceased to exist.

Terry

rdelius

AE rings have no deep tabs. The only difference between the early plastic rings and the metal ones is the tab on the ones for metal fingerwheels .If the tab breaks off.swap the backing parts and use on a plastic fingerwheel .That Kellogg ring only fits a blank with AE style card and window. Will not fit on a dial

kleenax

Quote from: wds on July 22, 2017, 04:36:31 PM
Any idea what this ring fits?  Same size ring as the other one.

It's for a Bakelite Kellogg Dial Blank....
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

wds

By George you're right!  Thank you!  First picture is my model 1170 that has this same ring.  I'm used to seeing the rings in the second picture.  The ring on the right goes to the Kellogg Dial, the center for the Masterphones.  Rather than have 3 different rings it seems like it would have been better to just use the ring off the dial for the blanks. 
Dave