News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 500 Mushrooms

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, February 25, 2015, 05:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

Jonathan Sowers gave me this great idea for a thread; what do your Mushrooms look like? What colors have you found them in?

My Mushroom is pink, which is just about the most common color to find these in. It's probably one of the very first ABS 500s, with a date of 5-59 on every part. The reproduction cap came in white from Old Phone Shop, and I painted it with Tamiya paint (dead-on color, which doesn't seem very evident against the slightly-yellowed housing).
The housing and receiver cap are a couple shades south of the original pink, but look good after a lot of wetsanding and polishing. The handset and transmitter cap were really, really white (listing pictures showed the handset looking much less pale than it did in reality. It took several nights of sanding to get the color back. The HS cord was dyed back to color, but I didn't think the line cord needed it. I might have to rethink that decision... :o
The light works flawlessly, too! This is my 2nd favorite phone in my collection, and I'm really proud of it!

So what do your Mushrooms look like? Which colors have you found them in? C'mon, show 'em off!!

Auction Contest that was held for the phone, where I found out about it: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=13119.0
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

JorgeAmely

My pics are available for view here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/Amelyenator/1958WesternElectricPhoneWithNightLight#

Some photo ideas come from Dennis Markham.
Jorge

WesternElectricBen

Jorge, I've said it before but you have about the most beautiful phones..

Anyway, as of yet I have two mushromm sets that are fully working and restored.

-1959 White 500 P/U. I completely restored it with NOS stock parts, so it's not all original. Although, someday I'd like to put period correct plastics on it.
Overview Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZZOURw_RpA
If you check my YT channel, you will set a restoration series on it.

-1959 Black 500 P/U. The phone is all original (except the missing cap) which I paid $22.00
Dial out and Ringback: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N1neHIBG8w

Ben

WEBellSystemChristian

Amazng phones, guys! :D

Jorge, your phones always stunn me! When I first saw that red mushroom, I had to have flipped through the pictures for an hour or so!

Ben, your mushrooms are really cool! It's cool how both phones are from the same year and are the same model! They're twins!!
Christian Petterson

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on March 11, 2015, 08:59:17 PM
Ben, your mushrooms are really cool! It's cool how both phones are from the same year and are the same model! They're twins!!

I think of them as an Oreo cookie.

Ben

WEBellSystemChristian

First time I've seen the Oxford Gray Mushroom that everyone has talked about in the past!

Has anyone ever seen/heard of a Mahogany Brown or a Rose Beige Mushroom? You would think it could have been rather popular (as far as mushrooms go) in brown, since it would have made a nice office set for late-night work.
Christian Petterson

WEBellSystemChristian

Ben, I know the  repro mushroom caps are expensive, but they're really good quality. It's highly unlikely that you will find an original black cap for sale for a reasonable price. I really think you should get a repro for your black mushroom!
Christian Petterson

Doug Rose

Jorge....I agree whole heartily, your restorations are breathtaking. You can tell the work you put in....really outstanding...Doug
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

All the phones look very nice.

Jorge, it was nice to re-visit your web album for the beautiful Red "Mushroom" phone.  It is a prize-winner for sure.

~Dennis

JorgeAmely

Ben:

I saw your YouTube video of the restoration work you did on your white mushroom phone. This is the first time I see one in white. Excellent job on that one.
Jorge

WEBellSystemChristian

Not the first white Mushroom I've seen...
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=11128

It's my greatest "The One That Got Away" story. It was a perfect white 1958 mushroom with seemingly all-original parts and in perfect, flawless shape. I tried to contact my mom (I was at school) and, out of panicked frustration, texted her "please pick up". She translated this as me wanting to be picked up from school (sick), instead of me trying to get her attention to the ebay link I was trying to send her. After all of the confusion was cleared up, because of my frustration, the phone was sold for $30 BiN to someone else! :'(

Ugh, even now, reading the old thread, I'm chanting to myself; "stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid..." :-[
Christian Petterson

JimH

I have 3 "Mushroom" phones....the pink one is from '58 and the white and black are both from '59.  They are all original except for the handset cord on the pink.  I have the original, but it has turned white.  I still need to re-dye it pink.

Jim
Jim H.

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: JorgeAmely on March 13, 2015, 12:07:39 AM
Ben:

I saw your YouTube video of the restoration work you did on your white mushroom phone. This is the first time I see one in white. Excellent job on that one.

I appreciate it, especially coming from the master!

Ben