and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What type of radios do you own

Started by winkydink, January 08, 2009, 07:00:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Quote from: ae_collector on September 02, 2010, 11:32:15 AM
Brinybay:

I thought that you had "Photoshoped" an arrow into the picture pointing at the phone sitting on the radio. What a cool touch to make the arrow in a woodgrain tone!

Oh wait, its the corner of a picture frame on the wall!

Terry

Here's the bigger picture and a pic with the doors open.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

LarryInMichigan

Brinybay,

I just found the thing that you need to complete your picture: http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/clt/1924687698.html.

Larry

BDM

Mostly Philco's with a few Zeniths (especially Trans-Oceanic's) for good measure. Here is my YouTube channel. Have several vids of these sets in operation and restored condition.

http://www.youtube.com/user/weiwdxnw3nywyxrc98/videos?view=0
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Haf

My unrestored (except capacitors) Atwater Kent from 1935, in daily use (mostly with an mp3 player connected to the grammophone switch for having a style typical of the 1930's music.
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

HarrySmith

Page 1 of this thread is a good example, again, of why pictures need to be ON the forum :P
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AE40FAN

Since we are on the topic of radios.  I have finally acquired a radio I've been wanting for many years in fantastic condition.  It is a 1948 AM red RCA hand painted oriental 75X18.  Awhile back I won one of these in much worse condition and it arrived severely damaged.   This is truly a beautiful piece and I've never seen one in this condition!  Usually, the hand painted design is chipped away, paint fades to a very orange color, and the clear plastic dial lens always turns yellow.    I have quite a few variations of this style radio and I think the design was far ahead of its time.

AE40FAN

Light bulb is burnt out on my red RCA 75 x18.  Here is an illuminated dial on my black RCA 75 x 17.  It really is beautiful.  I get a few news channels and Latin stations on this.

Bill

This is the Emerson BD-197, made in 1938 and known as the "Mae West" radio (for a pair of obvious reasons). I paid $400 for it, owned it for about 10 years, recently sold it for about $1200 to a guy who turned it around on eBay for about $1500. I'm actually regretting letting it go - not because of the money, but because it was such a cool piece on my display shelf. I miss seeing it every day.

Bill

Dennis Markham

I love old radios.  Bill that Mae West is awesome.  I can sure understand how you would miss it now that it's gone.  You'll have to be on the hunt for another.

I have one old radio, a Zenith 8S-463 from 1940.  It sits in my office with 3 colored 302's atop of it.  I sometimes imagine that someone sat around this radio listening to historical events, like the attack on Pearl Harbor in 1941.  They're a great piece of American history, just like our telephones.

Haf

Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

Dennis Markham

Very cool, Haf!  Thank you for uploading that video.  That is exactly what I had in mind when I think of all the news items that came across the radio.  At that time is was the best method of keeping up with events of the day.

WesternElectricBen

Haf, I just subscribed, this will be fun watching your payphone videos.

Ben

Haf

Hi Ben, as you like it I changed some vids from private to public :)
Hope you like it, Haf
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

WesternElectricBen

Thanks Haf, I will definitely enjoy these videos later.

Ben