News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Is This an AE 24 Dial?

Started by LarryInMichigan, February 10, 2011, 09:42:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

This is the dial that was in my AE wood wall phone.  It looks almost exactly like the dial on the OPW website (http://www.oldphoneworks.com/automatic-electric-24-dial.html).  I am thinking of swapping dials with my AE34 (http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3462) since this dial is probably close to the type that the AE34 was supposed to have.  Also, I have a spare brass AE finger wheel which might look really nice on the AE34.

Larry

JorgeAmely

Type 24 it is. There are two flavors of this dial: one that clicks on wind up and one that doesn't. The details are not obvious from your pictures and the difference is due to the addition of a special washer that moves the pawl away from the toothed gear during windup. A very clever design. Other phon_AE_holics in this group can correct me if I am wrong.

Brass parts were never an option on AE phones. Only black paint, chrome and satin gold finishes were available for the trim parts of these phones.

Psst, psst: I have a phone with gold trimmed parts that is missing a gold trim ring. The previous owner polished a black ring to reveal the brass underneath and to the casual observer, it looks like gold. I am leaving it as is and I am hoping you can keep a secret.   ;)  Unless you have an extra gold trimmed ring and want to send it this way.  ;D ;D ;D
Jorge

LarryInMichigan

So, would this dial feel at home in my AE34?

Larry

JorgeAmely

Yes, it would be technically correct.
Jorge

rdelius

This dial is a mixture of parts. The frame is a 24a36 dial The hub is off a later dial possibly a type 54.
The Type 24 dial might be marked in an oval AE inc type 24
This dial has a loud click when wound.
The type 24a36 has a piano wire spring on the pawl to quiet the clicks and the AECO logo.
The type 52? has a sliding part under the pawl to prevent clicks.also is a zinc casting instead of brass.

That dial would look good on a brass stick or older monophone where it has the sides exposed.
Proper on you telphone if you want to use it.
That dial looks like one i would have rebuilt at COT
Robby

LarryInMichigan

So, I have a mostly 24A36 dial.  This one has the spring on the pawl to stop loud clicks.  I wonder if I should remove the spring to make the dial at least sound older.  I thought that, with a brass finger wheel and center ring, it would look more appropriate on my AE34 than the stainless steel North dial which is on it now.  Thank you for the info.

Larry

LarryInMichigan

I just removed the piano wire from the pawl, and now my dial clicks loudly while winding.  I like a noisy dial :)

Larry