News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Siemens and Halske 1955

Started by goamules, October 12, 2014, 11:50:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

goamules

The organic, molded design attracted me to this phone, but it took me a week and some research to get back to where it was, and buy it. A 1955 Siemens and Halske, it's in the Museum of Modern Art in NYC: http://www.moma.org/collection/object.php?object_id=3859.  The line cord was cut, would this work on a US system? 

TelePlay

Nice looking phone but the link is broken, this is all I see when I click on it . . .

---------------------

EDIT:  The link above now works

TelePlay

For long term posterity, this is the image, of the above external linked phone, posted directly on the forum . . .

unbeldi

I like these phones, and you got a nice two-tone combination.

This line of phones was made by the Siemens division for private telephone systems (Nebenstellenanlagen),
but you can probably make it work just fine on a telco line.
Can you show the type stamp on the bottom?

I think the origin of these was a design that started in the very late 40s, perhaps 49 or 50, the Trommelwähler being one of the first models which had the front to back position of the handset that was equally suited for left- and right-handers (or so advertised). The Trommelwähler wasn't very successful, despite the revolutionary ideas they had in the design labs for re-stimulating Siemens' private telephone business, so they used a conventional rotary dial design, but kept the handset position.

Matilo Telephones

It looks really good. Well done. Nice shine!

I love this model too.

I have a black one, two tone grey and a 2 tone grey magneto version.

There is also a wall version, with the handset also covering the dial.

I haven't heard it called a 1955 before. The Siemens & Halske designation is Fg Tist 282.
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

unbeldi

I think you got an example of the first year that they made these. That's why I would like to see the markings on the bottom.
The Fg tist 282 was made starting in 1955, and so I can see why someone would call it that, although it is not the official designation. They made these in several light colors, and if you ever find a mint-green one,  please call me with a low price. The most common is gray, accented with ivory handset caps, or so.

unbeldi

I am kind of curious about the red lettering on the dial.
I am wondering if this set was made in Austria.

Matilo Telephones

Red lettering is not uncommon on the earlier ones.

The earlier ones also had a braided cord instead of a curly one. Might be a replacement.

Does it have a metal chassis? Do you have a picture of the underside, please?
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

unbeldi

Quote from: Matilo Telephones on October 12, 2014, 01:49:52 PM
Red lettering is not uncommon on the earlier ones.

The earlier ones also had a braided cord instead of a curly one. Might be a replacement.

Does it have a metal chassis? Do you have a picture of the underside, please?

Yes, just did some (re)searching, and have found the early colored models (in the 1950s) having red lettering.
I thought this had been discontinued before the 282.

I also found that many people do refer to this type as  "Model 55"

goamules

I will post a picture of the bottom later.  However, I ask that people ask permission before downloading them and reposting them. 

wds

It is a cute phone.
Dave

unbeldi

Quote from: wds on October 12, 2014, 06:24:50 PM
It is a cute phone.
The design actually won some international design awards.