and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

302 on CL

Started by Netdewt, March 16, 2010, 08:15:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Netdewt

Here are some before pictures of the phone:

Netdewt

Sorry for the triple post here. It's just easier to organize the images this way.

These are after washing (lots of brown stinky goo in the crevices) and gluing the crack.

What grit sandpaper should I use? There are a few nicks and tiny paint splatters I want to see if I can get out or at least reduce.

Also, what piece of the body cover am I supposed to Dremel out? The fins in the corners?

Phonesrfun

Quote from: bellsystemproperty on March 22, 2010, 06:33:51 PM

My 302 on the inside smells like dog poop. I'm not kidding, that's what it actually smells like, and it's pretty strong too. Luckily I can't smell it at all when it has the cover on, so it's not much of an issue.

Kyle:  That smell is the way the 302's were.  They were made of a soft plastic that unfortunately smells that way, and there is nothing you can do except to sell the phone to get rid of the smell.

You probably missed the threads that have cropped up from time to time over this, but that's the way it is.

-Bill G

Netdewt

I got the feet fixed by Dennis some time ago... I lost steam on this project. Too many house projects this spring!

Dan/Panther

Netdewt;
Those bumps are just raised portions of the case along the inside of the case at the corners, kinda like little speed bump type raised areas.
Prosa and cons of removing the bumps. Some say do, some say don't. I would rather shave a little from the inside of the case, thern to come in some warm summer day and see a crack down the corner of a nice 302.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Greg G.

Quote from: Netdewt on March 21, 2010, 08:57:16 PM
It works! Sort of... it dials and talks perfectly, but does not ring.

It desperately needs a bath because it smells strongly of smoke. Probably 50 year old smoke?

No doubt there is some residue of cigarette smoke and other grime and it still needs a good cleaning, but the majority of that smell is from something they used on the electronics.  I thought the same thing when I took apart my AE 183, the smell was distinctly like old tobacco.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Quote from: bellsystemproperty on March 22, 2010, 06:33:51 PM
My 302 on the inside smells like dog poop. I'm not kidding, that's what it actually smells like, and it's pretty strong too. Luckily I can't smell it at all when it has the cover on, so it's not much of an issue.

This forum makes me do strange things sometimes.  I had to check the two 302s I have.  No odor at all.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Netdewt

I decided to pull this one out and start working on it again. I sanded it all down. The crack is GONE. I also sanded down some spots that had dings and paint splatters. This was a well used phone!

I had the feet recovered by that guy on here a while ago too, and my Ryobi buffer and Novus 2 has been sitting and waiting for me to use it for quite a while now. I'm not sure how I'll try to restore the finish on the handset... I might just need to find a new one.

HowardPgh

Seems like the 302 plastic has a funny smell, dirty or clean.
Howard

RDR89

So that is the case with all the plastic 302s?  I received my first one and whew!  All the inside works have this smell as well.  I put the shell in a bucket of hotish water with some dish detergent for a little bit and that really reduced the smell a lot.  The base I wiped down with some 409 and that got rid of the smell entirely. 
  I assume the only way to reduce or get rid of the smell from the components is to completely clean each piece. 
  Question: how do you clean up the ringer brass square that surrounds the magnets?  I read that removing the magnets is bad bad.  Qtip with brasso or...?

This site is really beyond helpful for a novice.

Brian

unbeldi

A clean and well kept 302 doesn't smell much at all. The electronic components may have a little of a phenolic smell, as insulating terminal plates, etc, were made of phenolic resins. There are some organic compounds in the insulating layers of paper around the ringer coils and induction coil. If wax from the condenser has leaked it may smell some too.
The nasty smells usually are from smoky environments that the phone was used in, nicotine and other contaminants leave long-lasting nasty odors, that don't necessarily smell like smoke anymore.

Doug Rose

Karl...I agree. The boxes are free at the PO making it a wonderful deal.  Medium Priority is the best option to ship a phone in  my humble opinion. When I get a phone in the mail, packing is saved ans the box is chucked.

Harry....last time I got damage with the "I thought it was brown" North, the PO wanted it back. If so, remove the finger wheel and the dial card and put a replacement beater that you have. They are just going to throw it away...Doug
Kidphone